i-765 form questions

akli7995

I just started filling this form(my husband is being sponsored by the employer for the green card and I go with him as a spouse). I am currently on H1B working for US employer. In the past, after finishing grad school I had EAD card before I switched to H1B. I have a couple of questions:

1. In the very beginning of the form it is asking "I am applying for:" with options 1) Permission to accept employment; 2) Replacement or 3)Renewal. I am not sure what should I choose: 1) or 3)? My card was valid from 2012 until 2013, after I became on H1B, so does it mean I need to choose 3)?

2. In the question 16. Am I in the cathegory of (c)(9)?

Please let me know if you need any additional info to answer these questions.

Permission to accept employment
( c )( 9 ). I am assuming you guys have filed (or are filing at the same time) I-485, right?

Permission to accept employment
( c )( 9 ). I am assuming you guys have filed (or are filing at the same time) I-485, right?
thanks for the reply!

yes, we are filing 485 at the same time.

I am a little confused now: why should I choose Permission to accept employment? My logic was based on the fact that I had EAD card in the past, and I went throught the employmet authorization already. Now I need to renew that because this is not the first time I am applying for it and I have to attach a copy of the old EAD card. Is not my case what "the renewal" should be? What are the cases then when one would renew that instead of asking for permission?

It's "Permission to accept employment" because you are getting an EAD on a new basis. You are not getting it in the same category as before, based on the same eligibility as before. If, after one year, your I-485 is still pending and you renew your EAD in the same category, then it would be "Renewal of my permission to accept employment".