I-751 Travel Question

thundering

Registered Users (C)
Hi, All:

I just received the NOA for my I751 - one year extension of GC. I'm just wondering if anybody has traveled outside US before they get approved with an expired GC and a NOA. Is the NOA enough (together with the expired GC) for traveling outside the country?

Thanks.

Wait a second. How can thundering come back to the US without any technical status. The NOA itself does not have an I-94 and does not itself allow return to the US. You have to have some status to return to, unless you get advanced parole. In the past things were more relaxed. But right now I would definitely worry about being able to get admitted to the US with an expired temporary GC and only a NOA.

Well, isnt that what he said-a one year extension for the gc?
If you have the letter and the expired green card, it is as having the green card thats still valid for another year.

But the OP said that he only has the NOA (receipt notice) for the filing of the extension. That means the extension hasn't been approved yet. With the temp GC now expired, technically the OP is not in status. Being out of status is stayed for someone with a timely and properly filed request for an extension, so this shouldn't be a problem as far as the OP being allowed to lawfully stay in the US. However, I'm not sure that CBP is not going to have a problem with this technical lack of status if the OP attempts to return with nothing more than an expired GC and a receipt notice.

Ah, then I misunderstood the OP. Then travel with an approved extension request shouldn't be a problem. My bad.