I-751 cover letter

beiwen

Registered Users (C)
Who should sign the covering letter for the I-751 application? I'm a CR applying jointly with my wife (USC).
Should that covering letter be signed only by me? my wife? or both?
I've found several sample letters on the web for I-751 and I'm confused since I found one sample stating the USC should petition the removal of conditions for me. But I guess I am the one I have to ask for such removal, thus I am the one who is supposed to sign/write that letter... or at least my wife and I together should (as we're applying jointly)

For those who submitted this I-751, could you post any sample of introductory and closing statements on that letter?

Thanks in advance!

I have seen that example too and if you read the instruction on I-751 there is no such thing of cover letter...you can include it for an easy finding of information and let them know what the file is about and what includes, the first thing for sure they are checking is that you include the correct fee. But anyway...the one applying to remove your conditions in your residence is you, since actually even if your spouse wanted to help if you don't sign the form there is no such removal, don't you think?

To be sincere I did not included any special cover letter signed by both of us or whatever, I did include kind of covering letters explaining what was in every section of my file...I separated the file by sections and each section had a cover letter stating what we included e.g. Personal Information, Financial Statements, Assets, Life Together...etc. Every cover had the name of the form, my alien number, my name, my spouse name and stating "US citizen". But that was me...every person is different.

If you do the letter you both should sign it since you are 1. filing jointly 2. your spouse cannot ask to remove your condition since your residence was given through AOS and the AOS was yours not your's US citizen wife...that is the only conflicted thing that I have in that website, visajourney if you think that was the one... when they put things like that...sorry, this application is mine mine. Is you that get in trouble if you don't file in a timely matter the application not your wife.

The most important thing is that you both signed the form I-751 and include good-strong information. Anyway they are going to check all the information that you put in there regardless of what are you saying. Plus the cover letter only serves as an easy information for them to know what you included. That file they will turn it apart anyway.

Good luck!

Thanks, cherr1980!!!
That's exactly what I thought!!! It's me the one who's petitioning the removal of conditions.
Furthermore, on the form and its instructions you can read "information about you", "my conditional residence...", "your spouse", etc.
Of course, as we are filing it jointly my wife should sign that cover letter, too, in case we decide to write it. However it isn't supposed to be her letter but mine or ours... and yes, that's the website where I found that confusing cover letter sample.
Thank you so much for your reply. It's very clarifying. I'm also including cover letters for each section of files (taxes, utility bills, bank statements, pics, etc) and writing my name and A# on top of each. I should also write "Form I-751" on those sheets, as well, as you mentioned you did. That's a good idea.

I'm sending my package next week, btw...

Again, thank you sooo much!

Last edited by a moderator:
We the people of beiwen, in order to form a more perfect union, establish a bona fide marriage, insure our common property, provide for the common household, promote our childrens' welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence for the United States of America. ;)

thank you guys!
Indeed, both of us are signing that cover letter. And we specify, at the end: "Please, do not hesitate to contact us if...

thank you guys!
Indeed, both of us are signing that cover letter. And we specify, at the end: "Please, do not hesitate to contact us if...

In my case, I prepared the cover letter myself since I know the detail documents I put in. But I made the letter sounded like my USC wife prepared for USCIS. She was the only one signed on the cover letter. In my opinion, it's not a critical issue of the I-751 application, I had friend sent the documents without cover letter, and they got approved without any problem. Just relax!!!