i-485 self-filing questions

Discussion in 'General I-485 and Related Issues' started by ar2017, Mar 5, 2017.

  1. ar2017

    ar2017 New Member

    I want to file i-485 by myself, but I have a few questions below, pls extend your kind help.

    1. Mail package:
    I will file together with my wife. I am the primary applicant. I was told by my friend the documents for each applicant should be put in a separate envelop. But the two envelops should be put into one mail package

    2. Checks of filing fee:
    Do I need to write two separate checks or one check of total filing fee for my wife and me? The checks should be put in each applicant's envelops separately or just in the primary applicant's envelop?

    3. Passport or birth certificate:
    My passport has expired and it will need 6 months to get it renewal. But I have valid birth certificate. Do I need to provide a copy of my expired passport or only birth certificate, or both? Does it require the original copy of birth certificate or just a photocopy?

    4. Delivered by USPS or FedEx
    Should I deliver the package by USPS or FedEx?

  2. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    1. You haven't asked any question here.
    2. Advisable to write 2 separate checks.
    3. Copies of both should be included.
    4. Your call, either option is acceptable.
  3. ar2017

    ar2017 New Member

  4. ar2017

    ar2017 New Member

    Another question, I am asylee (asylum approved), for i-485 filing, I am the primary applicant, my child is dependent applicant, does my child need to provide birth certificate? As my child's birth certificate is not in English, does it need to be translated and notarized?
  5. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    All I-485 applicants need to provide a birth certificate. It should be translated.
  6. ar2017

    ar2017 New Member

    thanks. can i translate it by myself or find a professional agency to do it?
  7. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    You should find someone else to do the translation. It however doesn't have be done by a professional agency, as long as the person translating it attach a signed certified statement stating they're fluent in both English and the foreign language the document is being translated from.
  8. ar2017

    ar2017 New Member

    ok. thanks.

Share This Page