I-485 RFE received for birth certificate of parents. Can't get Non-availability of Birth Certificate from India

twitter

Hi, I've applied for I-130/I-1485 concurrent processing of my parent's GC. Last week both received a RFE asking for either a birth certificate or a secondary evidence along with a proof from letter from government authority. My relatives have tried to get NABC from local municipal departments but they have absolutely refused to issue such a letter. My parents were born in early 1950's and there was no local government at the time.

I've already sent the properly translated high school certificate which should work as the secondary evidence but don't know what to do for for non-availability of birth certificate.

Has anyone been in the similar situation and has some ideas for me. Should I contact an immigration attorney?

Hello T.

I am in the similar situation and received a RFE last week. We have submitted the affidavits in lieu of birth certificates but they still want a primary document NABC. I will keep you posted what I find out. I have contact our lawyers in India to see if they can arrange for the same.

I do know the local Indian Embassy issues such a letter but there have been situations when such letters have not been accepted and the application has been rejected.

You can read my thread as well with the tag AAMR.

I am in the same situation and given the current situation with Covid-19, the state which my mother was born is under complete lock down. Any thoughts on how to proceed in these unprecedented times?
What was outcome of your case?

I am in the same situation and given the current situation with Covid-19, the state which my mother was born is under complete lock down. Any thoughts on how to proceed in these unprecedented times?
What was outcome of your case?

Hello JayP -

We were not able to get the Non Availability of Birth Certificate nor the Birth Certificate for both my parents - even though my parents were born in a metropolitan city like Bombay. But we had hired a lawyer in India and had him apply for the Birth Certificate at the Birth Registrars office in India's Local office where my parents were born and obtained a copy of the application receipt. FYI - till date we do not have any response to that application even after multiple follow ups - cannot even expect any now considering the pandemic.

To have a professionally formatted response to the RFE we hired a lawyer in the USA and she responded with the following to the RFE:

1. The below details from USCIS website stating Visa Reciprocity - as my parents were born in 1940's
2. All additional available Government Documents of my parents - copy of ration card, copy of their school certificate (which for weird reason did not mention the place of birth), their school report cards, professional certification documents, copy of their employment appointment letters, domicile certificates and a few other documents - which specifically did not state their place of birth - but was very clear of their place of birth and existence. Fortunate enough they had retained all the above documents even though they are almost disintegrated but were readable.
3. The Birth Certificate application receipt - stating we have applied but have not received any thing yet.

The lawyer responded with all of the above on Jan 27th 2020 and we got an update on the USCIS website on Feb 24, 2020 where we are awaiting for an interview date - and then the lock down from March happened. So are awaiting the interview date or otherwise. We will have to wait and see.

Hope the above helps and hope you find a way around. Sorry you are going thru this but I know how stressful it could be.

Birth Certificates
Available: For persons born after April 1, 1970, birth certificates are available. For persons born prior to April 1, 1970, birth certificates are considered unavailable.
Fees: Fees vary from each Municipal authority, or any office authorized to issue birth and death certificates by the Registrar of Births & Deaths.
Document Name: Birth Certificate
Issuing Authority: Municipal Authority, or any office authorized to issue birth and death certificates by the Registrar of Births & Deaths.
Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Varies substantially from state to state.
Issuing Authority Personnel Title: There is no issuing authority personnel title.
Registration Criteria: The registration criteria varies
Procedure for Obtaining: Procedures vary from each authority.
Certified Copies Available: There are no certified copies available.
Alternate Documents: If an individual is born after April 1, 1970 and is unable to obtain a birth certificate, the individual must obtain a certificate of non-availability from the local authorities with jurisdiction over their place of birth. In addition to a non-availability certificate, the following documents can be accepted as secondary evidence:
  • School-leaving Certificate (document provided to students when they cease attending a particular school, be it public or private),
  • Matriculation Certificate,
  • Certificate of Recognized Boards from the school last attended by the applicant (Boards are exams)
  • A notarized affidavit executed by either a parent, if living, or another close relative older than the applicant. This affidavit should clearly state the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, the date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts. If the applicant has no living relatives that witnessed their birth, a self-attested affidavit detailing their knowledge of the facts of their birth may be accepted.
Exceptions: None
Comments: For all births after April 1, 1970. It is mandatory under the law (as per the Registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969) to register every birth with the concerned state or union territory.

Hi AAMR

At the outset I would like to thank you for responding back with such a great details. My mother is also born in 1940s and was born in Mumbai as well. I had my relatives contact BMC in Mumbai but due to Covid-19 situation they are not even entertaining non-availability birth certificate request as they are all focused on pandemic.
As far as documentation is concerned, the only thing I have is my mom's school leaving certificate showing her date of birth and her matriculation mark sheet (which doesn't show her date of birth). I don't have the other documents you mentioned.

I am in U.S.A and I am thinking of taking professional help as well. Would you mind sharing the lawyer's contact number?

Thanks
Jay

Hi JP - Rajiv Khanna's office is very knowledgeable and helpful as well.

Check your inbox for the message. that I sent you.

HI ,

I have received I-485 RFE in July 2020 and need to respond within 87 days. My birth is in 1986.

My birth-date is different in birth certificate and all other documents. I applied in December 2019 to India high-court to change birth date in birth certificate but because of covid, all courts are closed.
I am currently on H1B visa and applied for i 485 in May as my wife is US Citizen. Now I have received RFE for I-485.

My lawyer in USA is saying, I need birth certificate or No Record available certificate from Indian government as RFE is specifically for birth certificate evidence. All my other documents including Adhara card and school leaving has same date of birth as passport except birth certificate. My lawyer in India is saying, there is no way that court give decision this year and I have to wait for next year to get things normal. No Record available certificate will not be provided as there is birth certificate available.

Has anyone been in the similar situation and has some ideas for me. Please advice

Hello Aamr,

I have received I-485 RFE in July 2020 and need to respond within 87 days. My birth is in 1986.

My birth-date is different in birth certificate and all other documents. I applied in December 2019 to India high-court to change birth date in birth certificate but because of covid, all courts are closed.
I am currently on H1B visa and applied for i 485 in May as my wife is US Citizen. Now I have received RFE for I-485.

My lawyer in USA is saying, I need birth certificate or No Record available certificate from Indian government as RFE is specifically for birth certificate evidence. All my other documents including Adhara card and school leaving has same date of birth as passport except birth certificate. My lawyer in India is saying, there is no way that court give decision this year and I have to wait for next year to get things normal. No Record available certificate will not be provided as there is birth certificate available.

Has anyone been in the similar situation and has some ideas for me. Please advice

Hello Mr Shah -

I am not a lawyer but if you are born after 1970 - you will need a birth certificate and that to the correct one that matches all your other official documents - if they are any different.

@AAMR I am in a very much similar situation with my parents birth certificate. I would highly appreciate if you can message me your US and if possible, mumbai lawyer contact details. BIG THANKS.

@AAMR - I am also in a similar situation - I applied for concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485 with my father (born in the 1940's in Gujarat, but lived in Bombay all his life); and would appreciate if you can please help with the following:
1. If I understand you correctly, you responded to the USCIS with an "application receipt" for the Non Availability of Birth Certificate; and they accepted that? I am curious to know since this was in January/February 2020 and it appears you mentioned that an interview date was set for your parents in February, although it was not very clear?
2. Did you attempt to obtain a letter from the Indian consulate in the US about a "non-availability of birth certificate" or were you advised that this letter may not be acceptable to USCIS?
3. You also mention that you had other documents from your parents "professional certification documents" and "a few other documents" - can you please clarify what you mean by this?
4. Although my father was born in Gujarat, do you mind sharing the contact details of your lawyer in Mumbai - perhaps he has a contact in Gujarat who may be able to help me?

Thank you so much for your help in advance - I appreciate it.

I got an RFE for my mother who is in her late 80's and was born in Sind (now in Pakistan) and I am not sure who to approach for a birth certificate. She has no other documents.

I got an RFE for my mother who is in her late 80's and was born in Sind (now in Pakistan) and I am not sure who to approach for a birth certificate. She has no other documents.
i am in a similar situation. Mother was born in 1942 in a small town in West Bengal. I cannot obtain a NABC. Reciprocity schedule says USCIS shouldnt ask for it. What to do? Which lawyer in the US did you use to respond to the RFE?

Hello - If you see the visa reciprocity schedule - anyone born prior to 1970 - the birth certificate is deemed to be unavailable. You may want to check the same schedule for Pakistan and respond to USCIS accordingly. It may be advisable to get a help of a lawyer to respond in the correct legal language and terms.

@going2paris Hello. Yes we can apply for a NABC from a US Embassy. But if you research online a lot of people have mentioned that USCIS does not accept a NABC issued by a US Embassy as they give it based on the persons passport and holding a passport of a country does not mean you are born in that country - same logic as when any immigrant has a US Passport does not mean they are born in the USA.

Oh ok, thank you for the information, I guess will have to see if we can get it from Mumbai where she was living for most of her life, not sure how to go about that

HI ,

What happened later? How did you respond to the RFE? and what was the outcome?