I 485 New York

hvanda

Registered Users (C)
I filed for I 485 in July 2003. Currently the BCIS is working on cases from June 2002. In other places it takes less than 4 months. Shouldn't federal law apply equally to all US citizens? We have to pay the extra fees each year and wait on average 2-3 more years for approval. The US constitution provides for equal protection and this disparity seems to me to be a clear violation of those basic protections. Is there any mandamus to act which can be applied to federal government actions? Any comment on that?

I'm not sure about the anti-discrimination aspect of it.

However, there's a law that a federal government must respond to any petition or request made by a US Citizen within a certain period of time. There was an immigration lawyer who won a case against INS few years back. (sorry don't remember any details).

hvanda said:
I filed for I 485 in July 2003. Currently the BCIS is working on cases from June 2002. In other places it takes less than 4 months. Shouldn't federal law apply equally to all US citizens? We have to pay the extra fees each year and wait on average 2-3 more years for approval.

I'm in the same state, wife applied for I 485 in dec 03 and even now I still only have a receipt which says it will take between 120 & 180 days for processing these kind of cases. Although I've done my fingerpriting, I have received no notification of my change in status. In the forums here, except for NYC everyother District Office & center is processing their application in a much shorter time fram.

nitinp23 said:
I'm in the same state, wife applied for I 485 in dec 03 and even now I still only have a receipt which says it will take between 120 & 180 days for processing these kind of cases. Although I've done my fingerpriting, I have received no notification of my change in status. In the forums here, except for NYC everyother District Office & center is processing their application in a much shorter time fram.

Let's keep a thread for New York (City) alive. I am on the same boat and walking in the dark. anybody have experience with the same kind of case in NYC? please share your timeline.

NY Case details

LinWang369 said:
Let's keep a thread for New York (City) alive. ....please share your timeline.

Follow the link for my case details
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=144383

Below are my updates since the last time i posted
I am in the process of applying for advance parole this week.
I called the 1(800) number and I was transferred to an immigration officer - whom I feel was a lot more helpful than the regular people who have been answering my calls till now.
I was told that I 485's in NY are taking close to 24 months to get processed.
When asked by me about why there were no updates from the INS regarding my case till now, I was advised that their systems have my fingerprints online and my case was pending.
I have also some updates on my current EAD- online status now says - approved and will be mailed within 2 weeks. But I know this is going to be the old EAD that will expire in March05. I am also applying for the first renewal of my EAD along with my I131.

I am kinda suprised that I have not been getting any replies or suggestions - arent there any folks from NY in the same boat except for the ones who have been posting or is there a post on this forum that has timelines for NY?

Regards

progress in my case???

IN addition to what I have written previously in the post..
After I called the 1 800 #, I received online notification that my I765 was being processed and I should be obtaining my EAD within a few days that was Sept 29th, 04. Since my authorization is valid only till March 05, and my 90 day period was around the corner. I prepared my renewal I765 and was about to send it on Oct 6th, when I recieved in via mail my EAD from the first petiton filed in Dec 04 valid till October 05. Now only if they did my I485 & I130 in the same manner..but now with this pilot program everyone is talking about..i dont know what is going on... :mad:

Gc Status

I have applied at the end of october 2002, it's going to be 2 years in another 3 weeks. I have applied through my wife (USC). I am expecting an interview appointment with in next few weeks to months. I will update once I receive my appointment. If anybody else who applied during the same time I have applied please update their details.

New York Updates

Did anybody receive any AP dates for the cases filed between Jun 2002 and Dec 2002. If so please update your details. The NYC BCIS is moving very slowly.

AP dates

Dont think I mentioned this, I applied for AP this month(around Oct6th). I received notice of receipt of Oct 18th, saying it will take 60-90 days. However online record indicates that it will take 30-60 days. Hopefully I will get them sooner rather than later. Will keep you folks informed

Pilot Visa program

Folks,

I think this should be good news. The new york pilot program has been extended from its previous close date of Sept 30th, 2004 to an open dated program. The only catch - the program [B]ONLY[/B] encompasses spouse based applications and requires that all applications/petitions to be filed once more; once the applications are filed, interviews will be granted within 75-90 days of the receipt date with a 71% success rate.

I am now tempted to use this pilot programme to speed up my case, but am not comfortable doing the whole process again myslf and may use a lawyer. And moreover I need to get out of the country in January and my I131 is pending, dont want to mess that up.

I will be calling the 800 number on tuesday to find out more and even try to get an infopass appointment.

Would be interested to know if there are folks in the forum who have gone ahead and participated in the pilot program after initally submitting petiotions the regular way.

Regards

The Pilot Program in NYC

nitinp23 said:
Folks,

I think this should be good news. The new york pilot program has been extended from its previous close date of Sept 30th, 2004 to an open dated program. The only catch - the program [B]ONLY[/B] encompasses spouse based applications and requires that all applications/petitions to be filed once more; once the applications are filed, interviews will be granted within 75-90 days of the receipt date with a 71% success rate.
Where did you get the news? Can you post the website link(s)? Thanks.

Dont have any links...

I was watching an asian tv program with Lawyers clarifying some legal issues - and the folks did mention that ...sorry cannot be of more help..not sure if the moderators of this group can verify or provide information

I've heard about this extention of NYC pilot program. They warned though, that if you had previously filed for AOS with NYC and your case hasn't been yet adjucated, it might take longer (nobody know how much longer) than 90 days because they'll have to locate your previous files and gather it all together.

Do I need to submit I-693 (Medical Examination) with I-485 to New York Office? Thanks in advance.

You need to atleast research a little bit or try to go thru the threads. It says very clearly on the I-485 form..

A. Individuals applying for adjustment of status through
the INS Service Center: 1) General: If you are filing your
adjustment of status application with the INS Service Center,
include your medical exam report with the application

B. Individuals applying for adjustment of status through
the local INS office and asylees applying for adjustment of
status through the Service Center: If you are filing your
adjustment of status application with the local INS office, do
not submit a medical report with your adjustment of status
application. Wait for further instructions from INS about how
and where to take the medical exam and submit the medical
exam report.

xalidag said:
Do I need to submit I-693 (Medical Examination) with I-485 to New York Office? Thanks in advance.

I was a skeptic of this pilot program until I opened the mail box today. I got the interview letter scheduled for Jan. 11 next year. My lawyer was telling me that I should be done with the whole process within 18-24 months. I think I got lucky this time around. Now its time to get the medical and prepare all the documents needed for the interview. I wish good luck to all.
All applications were submitted at New York local office. All receipts were sent from MSC.
RD: 9/23/04
ND: 10/04/04
FP: 11/02/04
Interview: 1/11/05

SWaiting said:
You need to atleast research a little bit or try to go thru the threads. It says very clearly on the I-485 form..

A. Individuals applying for adjustment of status through
the INS Service Center: 1) General: If you are filing your
adjustment of status application with the INS Service Center,
include your medical exam report with the application

B. Individuals applying for adjustment of status through
the local INS office and asylees applying for adjustment of
status through the Service Center: If you are filing your
adjustment of status application with the local INS office, do
not submit a medical report with your adjustment of status
application. Wait for further instructions from INS about how
and where to take the medical exam and submit the medical
exam report.
Thanks and I did at least research a little bit. :) I asked this question cause I found some inconsistency among instructions on each form. On the page to download I-693, it says:

If filing for adjustment of status at a local office, you should submit the completed Form I-693, sealed in an envelope from the physician, at the time of your adjustment of status interview. Please note: some local offices request that you file Form I-693 with your adjustment of status application packet to allow for quicker processing. Please check the web page of your local office under "Local Filing Procedures" to determine if your local office wants Form I-693 at the time of filing Form I-485 or at the time of interview.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-693.htm

And then, I couldn't find the info on the NY local office page. Maybe I should just call them for sure, but I wanted to have at least some idea.

In case my question is deflecting the original topic on this thread, I apologize about that.

I filed application in New York INS on Nov. 25, 2002, received Notice from NCSC on March 08, 2004. It has more than two years!

My second EAD will expire soon. The 3rd EAD was filed on Sept 3, 2004. Now it's past 90 days. I called service center and it said New York city has just processed the EAD filed on April, 2004. Is it correct? What's more, the local INS need appointment to go for iEAD now. My appointment date through infopass is two weeks later, but I want to go to local INS early. Anyone had experience to get iEAD without the infopass appointment, could you help me? Thanks.

Fellas,New-Yorkers... any news from NYC DO, anyone????
I am on my 29th month of waiting and still no interview date.