I-485 Marriage Visa and Criminal History

ctjoel

I'm hoping to get some help on likelihood of successfully obtaining a marriage visa via the I-485 status change whilst in the USA on an E3 visa (similar to H1B).

My concern is regarding my Australian Criminal history:

- 2007 Recklessly cause injury - without conviction
- 2015 Unlawful Assault - without conviction

I've renewed my 2 year visa twice. Last time was done remotely due to covid therefore no interview however my first interview the officer accepted that my criminal history was not a reason for denial.

I believe USCIS is a more difficult process and am concerned about being denied. I will of course use an attorney but would appreciate any advice on likelihood of success here. Both events were not serious assaults and therefore dismissed with good behavior.

I'm not at all knowledgeable, but my understanding is the reasons for inadmissibility are the same ones which would disqualify getting a green card. i.e. crimes of moral turpitude.

The cause injury / unlawful assault do not appear to be moral turpitude crimes. Which is why you were allowed to enter in the past.

If for some reason you get told you need a waiver of inadmissibility, then you've got trouble. A waiver of criminal history for permanent residence is only available:

1. In situations of undue hardship (tough to prove) or
2. 15 years after the incident, i.e., 2030.

I think you should feel safe going forward with your application. If at some point you're told you're ineligible, then it may be time to hire a good lawyer who can argue these arrests do not make you inadmissible because (a) you were never convicted and/or (b) they are not crimes of moral turpitude.