I-485 interview experience at SFO Local--Read if interested

Bamana

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
My spouse and I finished our interview at SFO local this morning. Getting to SF was a big ordeal for us due to traffic blockage from all sides. We were lucky to reach just 2 minutes before the interview time and my attorney was waiting at the appt. line. We got in and my attorney dropped the interview letter at the window and we were called in 20 minutes later. The officer looked pleasant with a smiling face. He finished the initial formal routines like fingerprinting, oath etc. asked to take seats in his cabin. He asked some regular informal questions like when we last entered US and which visa, which co. we worked for and what duties, if either of us were married before, how many kids, pronounced the name of our kid etc, address etc. Then he asked us the Y/N questions on the I-485 form like if we were arrested/ deal with court/police etc.. I said no to all and he asked me to sign the I-485 form.. Same questions for my spouse.... he said Yes for DUI and then was asked to sign...
He asked me to show the documents... He did not care for the originals.. he wanted the photocopies of all and he filed. He asked me how much I make and I told him...
He did the same to my spouse but did not bother to take all documents requested from him except for court documents regarding DUI.. kind a funny because we spent days arranging everything ...
He came back and asked again which company I work for... I told him and my attorney interjected and said I used portability law and changed co. He asked what was wrong with my previous co. My attorney said better opportunities. He asked what was the difference in the salary and I said abt 5k..
He looked at the tax papers and asked the salary figures... and my attorney explained that I did not make so much last year and the remaining was my spouse's(joint filing)....
then he looked at the system and looking at my attorney he said that he cannot approve today... he has to wait for CIA/FBI clearance. my attorney said she did not think there was a backlog at SF, then the officer said there is.
Finally he gave us a document in which he wrote "pending clearance"
My attorney asked how many days and he said few weeks...
The interview was real casual.. Nothing to panic... Felt as tho' they did not care for all docs. requested on the interview letter.
The whole thing took abt. 20 minutes and was cool...
So the wait is still not over.

Bamana,
Congratulations! So the wait is for clearance from CIA/FBI. You indicate in your posting that it will take a few weekes - Can you please let us know on this forum if you have any more info on that? We had our interview a about 3 months ago in San Jose and have not yet received anything. I would really appreciate it if you would let us know any more info on this "CIA/FBI" clearance. I thought all that was done before they call us for interview.

Thanks,
Hanginthere64

Hi Bamana,
Congrats.. Could you tell me abt your lawyers.. I have interview this month end.. i want to know if they can assist me..

rdgs
Prasad

is it true that INS no longer stamp passport on the day of interview?

is it true that INS no longer stamp passport on the day of interview? thanks.

HanginThere64, when my attorney asked the--

officer "couple days" the officer said couple weeks... thats how i know its weeks. its sad to note that its 3 months since your interview is over and still no response. Do you have an attorney to check the status... My attorney said that they will check on the 20th of Dec...

prasad_naidu --- Yes my lawyer was good but expensive.. Let me know if you need them.. they are SF based

li siny, looks like they are not stamping passports the same day as interview these days...

Bamana

My attny has sent some inquiries by letter and email - But we got no response from the INS office. There is no indication of when things will move.
How does your attny plan to enquire? is it by going in person?

Hanginthere64

Hi Bamana,
Thanks for sharing your GC experience. Can you please let me know how much the lawyer charges for accompanying you to the interview.I may be needing one in the course of time as mine got tranferred to sacramento last month.Can you please e-mail me the details(lawyer contact and costs) at usmlekaplan@yahoo.com.
Thanks,
INFOGC

Hi Bamana,
is the lawyer the same person who worked on your G.C. Or is he/she different..
Basically do u know if u have to tak the same lawyers who worked with you on ur G.C. or can u take some one else..

rdgs
Prasad

HanginThere64, My Attorney said that SJ takes longer for FBI clearance than SFO

Thats why we were anticipating it to be stamped the same day.. but now there is a backlog in SF too....My att. seems to contact in person I think--- thats what I heard her say.
prasad_naidu, The attorney who processed my GC is totally different from the one I took for interview. As mentioned earlier mine was an east coast based co. and the att. are also there. So I had to hire a new one who could accompany me for the interview...

Hi Banama,
COuld you pls.. give me tha detials of your attroney& How much he/she charges..
You can send me an private msg if you prefer..
If you go to my "Profile" you can send an private msg..

thanks a lot..
Prasad