I-485 and Personal Declaration/ Other supporting documents

luchy204

I have only done very basic I-485 applications in which you simply include all the appropriate forms and documents, etc. Nothing fancy. I now have a client with several criminal issues. None of them are CIMT's or Aggravated Felonies. So I am including in addition to the standard packet, a legal memorandum explaining why these convictions are neither CIMT's or Agg. Fels. and why my client deserves a favorable exercise of discretion. We have not decided whether or not we will submit a 601 waiver as well, but we are leaning towards not because the crimes do not appear to render one necessary and we would like to save the client the fee.

However, my boss feels that we should go ahead and submit supporting documents as though we were fling the waiver. This includes personal declarations, letters of recommendation, and supporting medical documents that prove the statements made in the declarations are true.

My question is, is this typical with an I-485 application, or should I leave the additional materials out and let the issues come up at the hearing?

I would send the Police reports and the arrest records with Certified Dispositions if all of those do not appear to be CIMT's or aggravated Felonies, please be advised that some Misdemeanors are also considered aggravated like 3rd degree assault specially if its domestic.
After that lets leave it on the AO to decide if he/she wants to RFE something or let the interviewing DAO go into details at interview and see if he/she will require additional supporting documents to render a favorable decision.

Last edited by a moderator: