I-140, I-485 and change of employer

traveler111

Hi all, first of all let me say hello to everyone and thank you all for the very useful tips and recommendation you provide on this forum. I've been reading a lot and learn a lot over her.

I'd like now to explain my situation and get your appreciated comments and feedback:

I'm in the US with an L1A visa. After one year of employment here in the US and as agreed with my employer (on the contract) they filed my 140 and 485 applications in May '14.
I'm still awaiting confirmation for both - first question: when do you think they should come thru?

After having discussed the possibility with my boss, I've finally decided to move to another company, taking on a role with the same job description and position.

My plan is either to change employer as soon I'll receive approval of the I-485 or after 180 days from the I-485 application (assuming to receiving the I-140 before than that).

My big dilemma is: even if I know that my current employer will not do that, can they revoke my 140 during the portability process or after I've got my GC approved?
If they were going to do that, what are the possible consequences?
For how long after my GC approval they can still to do that?
What could I do to protect myself?

Again, I know that they won't do that, but I don't like the feeling of them having "this power" on me...

Many thanks for your help!

Once your GC is approved the former employer can't revoke it. But before the GC is approved, you need an approved I-140 and the I-485 to be pending for 180 days in order to get Ac21 portability protection.

Apparently you don't even have the I-485 receipt yet, and haven't gone for fingerprinting, so they probably haven't filed the I-485 yet, so your 180 day clock hasn't even started.