I-140 Approved ... What exactly does it mean?

i3bex

Hey Everybody:

This is my first post. My mother just got the reciept of approval for I-140 petition. All the internet resouces I have refered so far say that the I-140 is an Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, which I don't fully understand.

What are the benefits of this approval?
How is the approval of this petition is going to change our lives in the United States?
How long will it take for us to get workers permit? what about residency?
What exactly did USCIS approve?

Since I am very confused, I'm not even sure if I have asked the right questions.

My mother is really excited about it, but as a result of my lack of understanding, I don't know how excited I should be.

PS: I'm very lucky that the petition got approved 2 months before I turn 21 :)

Sincerely,

i3bex

It means that the USCIS has approved your employer's petition to sponsor you for a green card. Congrats!

Now, that have an approved I-140, you can apply for a green card using form I-485 (if you live in the USA) or at the consulate, if you don't live in the USA. If you apply using form I-485, you can also apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) which will allow you to work, and an Advance Parole Document (which will allow you to travel) renewable every year until your I-485 is approved.

One more question...

curiousGeorge ... May your children and your woman give you much pleasure now or in the future ... Thank you for your timely response!

Do all my family memebers that were included on the approved I-140 be able to get EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and Advance Parole Document while our I-485 is pending?
How long does the I-485 petition usually take?

Sincerely,

i3bex

PS: ops...I asked two questions

485 and AP and EAD

If your priority dates are current, then you can file for I-485, AP and EAD.
Your wife can file for I-485 and EAD also.

How long it takes tp approve I-485 ? : only God knows ! Go ahead file and pray for the best. It is all dependent on how fast the USCIS moves, how quickly your FBI name check and Fingerprinting results come back, etc.

Good Luck !

i3bex said:
Do all my family memebers that were included on the approved I-140 be able to get EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and Advance Parole Document while our I-485 is pending?

Only you were included on the I-140, since that is a document proving to the USCIS that your company needs you here as a permanent resident, since they have not been able to find another US Citizen/Permanent Resident to fill your position. That document has nothing to do with your family.

But...when you file your I-485/EAD/AP, then your wife and your children will also be able file for thier own I-485 and they can also file for thier own EAD and and thier own AP.

There is no way to tell for sure at this point when your I-485 will get approved, and when you will get your green card. My I-485, for example, took 32 months to get approved.

Now that your I-140 is approved eventually you will get the green card, as long as you don't have HIV or Tuberculosis, and you have a clean criminal background, and you were in legal immigration status, its just a matter of waiting and waiting . They also check a few other things, but those are the big ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
curiousGeorge:

Thank you very much! You have been most helpful in answering my questions.

After moving to the US, waiting seems to have become my speciality. So I will go ahead and start waiting. (I can't wait until I stop dealing with USCIS.)

curiousGeorge, may the blessings of the almighty be with you!

Sincerely,

i3bex

MDGUTS1307:

Thank you very much for your response. I must have overlooked your post as I was reading curiousGeorge's response.

I think I am better of thinking the process might take from 5 to 7 years.

Sincerely,

i3bex

PS: may all blessings be part of your life as well.