I-140 approved, need to apply for EAD?

llp1

Registered Users (C)
My I-140 was approved on October 17, 2007. I submitted I-485 in July 2007. Currently I am on H1B valid till August of 2010. However, my university HR now urges me to apply for EAD I-765. Is it really necessary? Is there any USCIS link for this issue? I already told HR that I should be OK to work with a valid H1B, no need to apply for EAD while waiting for my I-485 approved. But the HR guy claimed that he was informed by an immigration counselor. It sounds like if I don't apply for an EAD then I cannot work in that institution (tenure-track faculty). I got scared. I need to provide solid evidence to convince the HR guy, as I really don't want to switch to EAD if it is not necessary.

There is no need for an EAD. The HR person as no clue. If you are ok with just the H1B, just wait for the I-485 approval.

Thanks, nscagony. The HR guy really has no clue yet scares me much as he claims that the requirement is from an immigration counselor.
It's clear now. Finally he emailed me that I didn't need to do it as he and the so called counselor couldn't find any USCIS written regulations to force me to apply for an EAD.