I-130 Instruction form... "Notice to Persons Filing for Spouses, If Married less than 2 years"

Moments

Registered Users (C)
On the instruction form of I-130, there's a statement that mention if married less than two years. I don't quite understand this. Can anyone explain this is simple terms? My wife and i married about a year ago and I'm about to turn in my I-130. Do i need to file Form I-751 along with I-130?

This information puts you on notice that a marriage that has lasted less than two full years on the date that a person is adjusted pursuant to a form I-485 or upon the date of entry into the U.S. with an Immigrant Visa, the new immigrant will be a "Conditional Permanent Resident" (CR). The CR status is applies, if the marriage creating the relationship is under 2 years, to the spouse and stepchildren of a USC or LPR I-130 Petitioner. The CR is issued a greencard with a two year validity period. Within the final 3 months of the card's validity you file a form I-751 to lift/remove the conditions upon a showing that the marriage was bona fide and not merely a sham/fraud just to get a greencard.

INA 216 [8 USC 1186a] is the codification of the Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986, as amended.

Don't file the I-751 with your I-130.

I-751 is what you would file near the expiration of a 2-year conditional green card, in order to get a 10-year unconditional card. So you won't need to file it until sometime in 2013.

If you're already married for 2 years, you bypass the 2-year card and I-751, and directly get a 10-year green card.