I-130 for my mother - Birth certificate not available

sshah1001

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am in the process of getting citizenship in 2-3 months. Once I get it, I want to file for my mother's green card who is currently in India.

First problem is that she does not have either birth certificate or School leaving certificate or Election card. She was born in a very small village in Madhya Pradesh from where it will be very difficult to get it now.

Also, my birth certificate was also not issued when I was born. However, I do have a letter from Municipality stating that it was not issued along with Affidavit from my Aunt.

Do we need two Affidavits for each of us?

In this situation, what are the best possible options?

Please help.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi,

I am in the process of getting citizenship in 2-3 months. Once I get it, I want to file for my mother's green card who is currently in India.

First problem is that she does not have either birth certificate or School leaving certificate or Election card. She was born in a very small village in Madhya Pradesh from where it will be very difficult to get it now.

Also, my birth certificate was also not issued when I was born. However, I do have a letter from Municipality stating that it was not issued along with Affidavit from my Aunt.

Do we need two Affidavits for each of us?

In this situation, what are the best possible options?

Please help.

Thanks,

Sam

For I-130 application, you will need your birth certificate which has your mother's name on it. If you don't have it, get a letter from the relevant authority (Village panchayat or municipality) from your place of birth stating that -

A search was made for record of birth of {Insert your name}, son/daughter of {Insert full names of your parents}, and a record of birth is not available"

This letter should also be supplemented with two notarized affidavits from elder relatives (not your mother)who are aware of your birth (place, date, parents).
If you have any other documents issued during your childhood which has your mother name, include it as additional evidence of parental relationship.

When your mother is ready to file forms at the US consulate for her immigrant visa, she will need her birth certificate. In absence of a birth certificate, your mother will need a letter from the relevant authority (Village panchayat or municipality) from her place of birth stating that -

A search was made for record of birth of {Insert mother's name}, daughter of {Insert full names of her parents}, and a record of her birth is not available"

This letter should also be supplemented with two notarized affidavits from elder relatives who are aware of her birth (place, date, parents).

For I-130 application, you will need your birth certificate which has your mother's name on it. If you don't have it, get a letter from the relevant authority (Village panchayat or municipality) from your place of birth stating that -

A search was made for record of birth of {Insert your name}, son/daughter of {Insert full names of your parents}, and a record of birth is not available"

This letter should also be supplemented with two notarized affidavits from elder relatives (not your mother)who are aware of your birth (place, date, parents).
If you have any other documents issued during your childhood which has your mother name, include it as additional evidence of parental relationship.

When your mother is ready to file forms at the US consulate for her immigrant visa, she will need her birth certificate. In absence of a birth certificate, your mother will need a letter from the relevant authority (Village panchayat or municipality) from her place of birth stating that -

A search was made for record of birth of {Insert mother's name}, daughter of {Insert full names of her parents}, and a record of her birth is not available"

This letter should also be supplemented with two notarized affidavits from elder relatives who are aware of her birth (place, date, parents).

Thanks for your prompt response.

One question arises from this. My mother's name will be of her before marriage in her school leaving and letter from Gram Panchayat stating no birth record found. But it will be different in her passport (after marriage name).

Another thing... Gram Panchayat might not be able to issue letters in English language.

Will that be ok?

Please help....

Thanks again.

- Sam

Thanks for your prompt response.

One question arises from this. My mother's name will be of her before marriage in her school leaving and letter from Gram Panchayat stating no birth record found. But it will be different in her passport (after marriage name).

Another thing... Gram Panchayat might not be able to issue letters in English language.

Will that be ok?

Please help....

Thanks again.

- Sam

Married vs. maiden name is not an issue. If the letter is not in English, you can get it translated by a notary.

Married vs. maiden name is not an issue. If the letter is not in English, you can get it translated by a notary.

Thanks again.

1. Do you have to send originals of these documents to the Immigration?

2. Is it ok if I get all the documents now but file her GC after 5-6 months? How old these documents can be?

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again.

1. Do you have to send originals of these documents to the Immigration?

2. Is it ok if I get all the documents now but file her GC after 5-6 months? How old these documents can be?

Please help.

Only copies are required with form I-130. Originals will have to be produced at the time of interview. Along with form I-130, only copy of your birth certificate (showing mother's name) and a copy of your US paspsort or certifcate of naturalization are required. Other documents will be required at the time of interview.

Only copies are required with form I-130. Originals will have to be produced at the time of interview. Along with form I-130, only copy of your birth certificate (showing mother's name) and a copy of your US paspsort or certifcate of naturalization are required. Other documents will be required at the time of interview.

Thank you nkm-oct23.

I apologize for bombarding with so many questions.

Hopefully these are my last set of questions.

1. Is it ok if I get all the documents prepared now but file her GC after 5-6 months? How old these documents can be? I mean these documents will have current dates but her GC will be filed after 5-6 months. Will it be ok that time if these documents will be old?

2. One other thing I read somewhere that the person who gives affidavit has to be at least 10 years older than the person for whom affidavit is being prepared. Is that true? For example, my mother's sister is 8 years and other sister is 6 years older than my mother. Will it be ok if they give affidavit?

Please help.

Thank you nkm-oct23.

I apologize for bombarding with so many questions.

Hopefully these are my last set of questions.

1. Is it ok if I get all the documents prepared now but file her GC after 5-6 months? How old these documents can be? I mean these documents will have current dates but her GC will be filed after 5-6 months. Will it be ok that time if these documents will be old?

2. One other thing I read somewhere that the person who gives affidavit has to be at least 10 years older than the person for whom affidavit is being prepared. Is that true? For example, my mother's sister is 8 years and other sister is 6 years older than my mother. Will it be ok if they give affidavit?

Please help.

Is is OK to prepare documentation now. There is no such requirement that the person giving affidavit be 10 years older than your mother.

Is is OK to prepare documentation now. There is no such requirement that the person giving affidavit be 10 years older than your mother.

Today, my mother went to the municipal corporation in India to get the letter showing they cannot find my birth certificate but they told her that they cannot write my mother's name in that certificate. They can only have my father's name. Normally, there is no column for mother's name in this kind of certificate. Will that work for her sponsorship?

Also, she got the same response from my highschool that they cannot write her name on my school leaving certificate.

Is there any workarond these problems?

Today, my mother went to the municipal corporation in India to get the letter showing they cannot find my birth certificate but they told her that they cannot write my mother's name in that certificate. They can only have my father's name. Normally, there is no column for mother's name in this kind of certificate. Will that work for her sponsorship?

Also, she got the same response from my highschool that they cannot write her name on my school leaving certificate.

Is there any workarond these problems?

Do you have any other documentation from several years ago which has your name and your mother's name?

What did you use for your green card application?

Do you have any other documentation from several years ago which has your name and your mother's name?

What did you use for your green card application?

I used my school leaving certificate and a letter from Municipality but both have my father's name only, which is normal in India.

Yesterday, she got all the affidavits from our elder relatives done and notarized. These include 2 for me and 2 for her. Now, we are trying to get the certificate from municipality (showing no birth certificate found) and school for school leaving. This is having a problem that they are not willing to show my mother's name in it.

I found that on my passport, in Mother's name column, it has my mother's name written. Can this be used as a proof for relationship?

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam,

See if this link helps. They have few more samples on left side.

People here try to help voluntarily so no body will feel that you are bombarding with question so don't feel bad that you are asking too many questions.

Good Luck,

Affidavits for birth certificate

My last name is not expanded in the birth certificate and my father's and mother's name are mis-splet in it. Can someone give me a sample of affidavits to be filed by two of my relatives?