I-129F and 2 year meeting requirement exception

dave_bj

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have heavily relied on this forum for assistance from my asylum application all the way to my citizenship. I honestly never thought I would be back with questions but here I am.

I decided two months ago that I would like to marry a childhood friend a (no family ties) which I haven't seen in 5+ years, but stayed in touch with all along. Let me start by saying that we are not on here to debate whether or not my decision is the right one, please leave that up to me. Thanks.

My future spouse lives in the country I sought Political Asylum from and even though I am now a US citizen, I would honestly NOT want to travel there to visit her. I am an active member of an association who is gathering evidence for filing an ICC (International Criminal Court) complaint against the two specific leaders of my native country. I have some level of confidence that these leaders personally know about my activities.

In your opinion, would this meet the "undue hardship to the US citizen" threshold? This exception to the two year requirement is often very narrowly interpreted as applying to all but people with medical conditions or people whose tradition bars them from meeting before marriage. I just don't want to waste our time and money.

Visiting my native country where she lives given my current activism would be a serious gamble on my part as I have escalated my political protest since becoming a US citizen. I don't even think I would be given a visa to travel there at this point.