HR4241 and it's IMPORTANCE

nozdam

Registered Users (C)
Just to clarify the importance of HR4241

1) HR4241 is the House version of the Senate Bill S1932.
2) HR4241 does NOT have any immigration reforms.
3) It is VITAL that HR4241 passes coz if it does Not (GOD FORBID), then the corresponding Senate version is ALSO trashed and with it the immigration reforms in the S1932.
4) HENCE, even though HR4241 does NOT have immigration reforms, it HAS to pass coz else the immigration reforms in the senate bill do not pass either
5) Neither the Senate nor the house bills are being brought in for immigration. Immigration is just a VERY small part of a MUCH larger senate bill.
6) Even IF the house bill HR4241 DOES pass, there is NO guarantee that the reconciliation committee will keep the immigration reforms of the Senate version.

Comments, Additions anyone?

Thanks for the clarification. That helps. I hope it passes. If not, we are screwed......god ...this is too depressing....

HR4241
|
Passed---------FAILED
| |
s 1932 ? s 1932 Trash

is s 1932 not a part of 4241

is that number 1932 or whatever...

H.R. 4241 Update

Source www.immigration-law.com

11/17/2005: H.R. 4241 Update

The House has yet to debate this bill even though it was laid on table this afternoon. The House may or may not return to the session this evening. If they don't, they will pick it up early tomorrow. If they do, they are expected to have two hours of debate before they get into roll calls for this bill. It appears that the House resolution on this bill indicates that amendments may not be allowed on the floor for this bill, and it is almost certain that the House will pass H.R. 4241 without the S. 1932 immigration package.
Since the budget reconciliation bills are expected to move to the Senate-House conference committee which is yet to be formed by the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate, people are encouraged to keep sending support letters to the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate plus members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the House Budget Committee, especially the bill sponsors, to adopt the S.1932 Section 8001 and Section 8002. Traditionally, the Speaker and the President have been nominating the conference members mostly from the members of the Committees in each House that passed the conflicting bills. Please do not give up yet. The fight is not over. Remember Yogi Berra? It ain't over till it is over. Please do not loosen your "bite!" Business and academic communities are extremely important for the last minute push, and we urge each of you to contact your employers to keep contacting these Senators and Congress people starting early tomorrow morning.

santosh_30 said:
Thanks for the clarification. That helps. I hope it passes. If not, we are screwed......god ...this is too depressing....

YES it is VERY depressing. Our Immigration reforms are hanging by threads.

THAT is why i keep exhorting, let us ALSO start a parallel group, asking the President DIRECTLY for help. (Not the man himself, but his office).

I like the idea

Nozdam, I like the idea. It's one more avenue for us and amybe something can come out of it. Do you want to start a new thread/explore the proper way to contact the President's office. I am ready to volunteer.

you are missing, this is bottom up and no top down king like rule

nozdam said:
YES it is VERY depressing. Our Immigration reforms are hanging by threads.

THAT is why i keep exhorting, let us ALSO start a parallel group, asking the President DIRECTLY for help. (Not the man himself, but his office).

It Doesnt Matter

Guys it doesnt matter!!

Email the president's office anyway. IT WILL HELP if it is a consolidated effort.

Either that or keep worrying abt whether HR4241 passes and then if the 2 bills reconcile WITH the immigration reforms.

Directly from clerk's site...

Ok, any opinions what this means? Does it suggest that the S. 1932 is going to be discussed right after the 4241 passage, possibly combined with the 4241 and put for a vote ?

10:26 P.M. -
Rule provides for consideration of H.R. 4241 with 2 hours of general debate. Previous question shall be considered as ordered without intervening motions except motion to recommit with or without instructions. Sec. 2. During consideration of H.R. 4241 pursuant to this resolution, notwithstanding the operation of the previous question, the Chair may postpone further consideration of the bill to a time designated by the Speaker. Measure will be considered read. A specified amendment is in order. Sec. 3. After passage of H.R. 4241, it shall be in order to take from the Speaker's table S. 1932 and to consider the Senate bill in the House. All points of order against the Senate bill and against its consideration are waived. It shall be in order to move to strike all after the enacting clause of the Senate bill and to insert in lieu thereof the provisions of H.R. 4241 as passed by the House.