How to sign US Passport

sap283

Registered Users (C)
This may be dumb question, but passport signature/information page says SIGNATURE OF BEARER, which I think is my illegible signature, also some online websites say the same thing that it should be same as my check, credit card signature.

However, the small leaflet I received with US Passport says Now… Sign your full name in your passport in ink…

So, can someone tell what, the correct way to sign the US passport is?

I think it is alright to sign as you sign your credit cards, in short, your regular signature. However, the more I read and hear about this it seems that it is the US tradition to have cursive signature with full name, pretty much the famous "John Hancock"

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_th...on_of_independence_john_hancock_signature.jpg

Definitely, a full name cursive signature allows anybody who reads the document to know better the name of the signatory. I think I ended up signing full cursive name because I got influenced by the same wording you read. However, I think your regular signature would work too.

Signing the way 'we sign credit cards' does not tell it 100%. Others don't know how you sign your credit cards. My name could be 'John Smith' and I can sign my credit card as 'John Smith'.

The question is whether I can sign as 'J. Smith' or do I need to sign in full as 'John Smith'.

Based on the responses of others, it appears that one can sign their abbreviated signature, i.e. similar to 'J. Smith'.

Signing the way 'we sign credit cards' does not tell it 100%. Others don't know how you sign your credit cards. My name could be 'John Smith' and I can sign my credit card as 'John Smith'.

The question is whether I can sign as 'J. Smith' or do I need to sign in full as 'John Smith'.

Based on the responses of others, it appears that one can sign their abbreviated signature, i.e. similar to 'J. Smith'.

Sign the passport with your regular signature (i.e., the way you sign your credit card, checks, etc.). Not one person I know signed their passport with a full cursive signature, nor have they ever encountered problems, due to the way they signed their passport, when they travelled overseas and returned to the U.S.

Agreement

Sign the passport with your regular signature (i.e., the way you sign your credit card, checks, etc.). Not one person I know signed their passport with a full cursive signature, nor have they ever encountered problems, due to the way they signed their passport, when they travelled overseas and returned to the U.S.

Totally agree, my friend. Even though I don't have a passport yet. :D:D:D

Totally agree, my friend. Even though I don't have a passport yet. :D:D:D

I'm actually popping my passport's proverbial cherry this coming January. Since coming to the U.S., I haven't done much international travel, so I doubt I'll be able to get the full experience of travelling with a U.S. passport. Oh well.:)

as per http://www.newcitizen.us/passport.html

Sign Your Passport in Ink (No Ballpoint Pens), Complete the Emergency Information Page in Pencil

When your new passport arrives (with your Certificate of Naturalization), please sign it in ink using a felt-tip, rollerball or calligraphy-type pen (no ballpoint pens). Sign it exactly as you did on your passport application using the same signature you would use to sign checks, traveler checks, and credit card slips.
Fill out the emergency information page in pencil. Since you passport is good for ten years the information on the emergency information page may change over time. We recommend filing out this page in pencil so you can change it in the future.