How to retain Indian Citizenship without going thru OIC

CuriousFella

This could be a silly question however worth asking..since Indian Govt now allows people to keep dual citizenships, is it possible to get the US citizenship without loosing Indian citizenship?

I am ready to file for the US citizenship. However before I do that, is there any course of action I can take to keep my Indian citizenship? Or do I have to loose my Indian citizenship to get the US citizenship and then apply for OIC to get my (pseudo) Indian citizenship back?

I live in New York and can visit the embassy if needed.

Any feedback, much appreciated. And yes, Merry Chritsmas and Happy New year to everyone!

First of all, OCI is not dual citizenship. Please do not refer to it that way irrespective who is making such a statement.

All it does-for the time being, is to register you as a person who is of Indian origin and allows you all the benefits forn an NRI. You cannot work in the Government or military-atleast officially. You do not have to register at a police station if you stay long in India. Ofcourse you can work or have a business or have inherited property.

But one great thing is if you stay continously in India for 5 years by the citizenship act of 1955 you can claim your Indian citizenship back and hense the passport.

** Before you decide to go for US passport think if that really will give you anything extra that you currently don't have. If it is work related unless you are in the government there is no real benefit is there? Okay travel maybe.

You assess the situation yourself. Then decide if you want to proceed to get US passport. Remember do not do something because your neighbor or friends is doing it. See what is best for your case.

Need for caution

If you do stay in India for 5+ years and decide to reclaim your Indian citizenship (and passport), please do examine carefully what effect it might have on your US citizenship... assuming you want to preserve it.

My feeling is that with the current laws, there is no way a person can LEGALLY possess both valid US and Indian citizenships/passports at the same time.
Just my 2 cents.

Regards.

Sammy

You are right, based on the latest supreme court ruling taking oath of allegiance to a foreign country will invalidate your Indian citizenship.

With OCI I dont see a big deal needing Indian Passport.

invest2bfree said:
You are right, based on the latest supreme court ruling taking oath of allegiance to a foreign country will invalidate your Indian citizenship.

Can you please post the link please?

canindo said:
But one great thing is if you stay continously in India for 5 years by the citizenship act of 1955 you can claim your Indian citizenship back and hense the passport.

Its one year residency in India with 5 years on OCI to acquire Indian citizenship. And you will have to relinquish your foreign citizenship to get Indian citizenship.

http://www.mha.nic.in/citi.htm

At present you cannot keep Indian passport while having an US passport.

If you are planning to stay in US and work then an Indian passport + green card is far sufficient and thus you can keep your Indian passport.

If you are planning to work outside US and an Indian passort is not good enough for you, you can apply for a US passport and then for OCI.

Remember, with the way things are going, India is going to have a lot of opportunities for the right persons.

Also since OCI allows you to get your Indian passport, if you are planning to retire in India after 65. But, yes you have then to give up your US passport.

Truthfully, I think many of you are unnecessarily applying for foreign passports.

Allegience to a foreign country?

I sometimes get confused who is referred to as ABCD's. - is it the kids born here (or) the immigrants who, like me came here on studies/Job.
"American Bound Confused Desis".
It's true that we can never forget nor leave the allegience towards our motherland, it's something achieved by birth and no country can take that away ( supreme court ruling, my foot - just to release my frustration :) ).

At the same time, we are here in U.S. and we are earning and living here. I am not sure I will be going back to India in near future. When I think I am living and enjoying the freedom of a country which is being protected by the sacrifices of many American soldiers, I feel the allegience from the bottom of my heart towards this great nation, which is giving me freedom, food & shelter.

Now, is it necessary to take the US Citizeship? I know everyone has their own feelings, priorities and plans. I have mine mixed with feelings for both, a mother who has given me birth and a mother who is giving me shelter.

These are just my views..... not to hurt or undermine anyone's views; all are right with their own little reasonings.

I suggest everyone to start thinking "WE ARE AMERICANS & this is our Nation too" if you are planning on staying here for long. This is important to gain respect as a community for people who are committed.

CIAO!

Last edited by a moderator:
ABCD refers to American Born Confused Desis. Generally referred to 1st/2nd generation desis in usa.

All American Bound Desis are not confused actually many of them become more intune with cultural upbringiing after coming to states. That does not mean they are unpatriotic to USA but they just dont forget thier roots.

Then there are third category of desis who generally dislike Indian culture and they need not be America Bound but could India residing.

In this 21st century global traveller it is better to have a US passport and OCI.

I have lived in Pakistan for only 7 years (out of 36) of my life. Luckily I had the luxury of keeping my Pakistani citizenship while naturalising (twice). Had it not been for the two factors stated above, I would have had a tough time debating what to do with regards to naturalising in any foreign country. I have loads of Indian friends who struggled (or are struggling) to make some decision about naturalising in a foreign country. I have friends who are Pakistani Canadians, Pakistani Americans, Pakistani Britons, Pakistani Australians, etc. When we get together/email each other, we often joke about our Pakistani-ness (if there is such a word) or lack thereof. I think the following joke will also apply to Indians who have naturalised abroad or are contemplating it.

No matter where we move, no matter what citizenship we acquire, a Pakistani will instantly "become a Pakistani" when either of the three events takes place:-

(1) We see a PIA plane at an international airport
(2) We see a Pakistani embassy in a foreign capital
(3) We are watching Pakistan play Cricket

rahulny said:
I sometimes get confused who is referred to as ABCD's. - is it the kids born here (or) the immigrants who, like me came here on studies/Job.
"American Bound Confused Desis".
It's true that we can never forget nor leave the allegience towards our motherland, it's something achieved by birth and no country can take that away ( supreme court ruling, my foot - just to release my frustration :) ).

At the same time, we are here in U.S. and we are earning and living here. I am not sure I will be going back to India in near future. When I think I am living and enjoying the freedom of a country which is being protected by the sacrifices of many American soldiers, I feel the allegience from the bottom of my heart towards this great nation, which is giving me freedom, food & shelter.

Now, is it necessary to take the US Citizeship? I know everyone has their own feelings, priorities and plans. I have mine mixed with feelings for both, a mother who has given me birth and a mother who is giving me shelter.

These are just my views..... not to hurt or undermine anyone's views; all are right with their own little reasonings.

I suggest everyone to start thinking "WE ARE AMERICANS & this is our Nation too" if you are planning on staying here for long. This is important to gain respect as a community for people who are committed.

CIAO!

You are right. My sentiments exactly. This society has treated me well. I thought it was time to be part of it. It doesn't matter whether I go back to India or not, I'm as much an American as I'm Indian.

But I wouldn't take a citizenship for travel convenience though.

BTW, what Supreme Court ruling are you guys referring to?

My 2 cents.

For some, naturalization is a matter of convenience in terms of travel and assimilation to some degree, i.e. vote in elections, and participate in the democracy in their adopted countries. It also brings a lot of emotions, and sentimental reasoning for some. For those people, GC is sufficient.

But for some people, maintaining green card is problematic if they travel and stay out of the US a lot. Getting the US passport removes those issues. I still think Indian politicians and bureaucrats shortchanged us by only giving OCI's which is bascially a v.2 of a PIO card. They just want to keep coming up with these short term scheme to make $$. They are in no hurry to offer a full dual citizenship, although they just want to confuse people in beliving that OCI is a dual citizenship, which it's NOT.

Guys, have you seen the queues at US airports for GC holders? The lines for US citizens are shorter and move much faster. Show me the Indian who does not travel :rolleyes: Jokes aside, if you are living in this country and enjoying the benefits then by all means become US citizens and make your voice heard by having the chance to vote.