how to get the copies of citation and proof of payment?

Benjamin2006

Recently, I obtained driving record from RMV of Massachusetts (I am living in Boston area). I got 4 traffic tickets in last 9 years. Each time, I paid the ticket fine in time. But I did not keep the records including the citations.

My question is: where and how can I get the copies of citation and proof of payment? Since I did not request any court hearing, I do not know which court I should go to get a document stating that the citation fine has been paid and the case has been dismissed.

I recall I got a parking ticket in Manhattan NewYork in the past, but cannot remember which year and do not keep all the information, but I paid the fine in time. How can I obtain a proof for that payment?

Thanks very much,

I recently did the same thing in NY -- my experience below.

I have 3 traffic tickets over the last 8 years -- 1 that I plead guilty to (before I was wise), 1 that I contested and plead down to a non-moving violation and another that I contested and is still waiting for a court date after 2 years.

For the first one, I called the court clerk (found the phone number through googling) and she found the ticket number and asked me to send a Self addressed envelope and a 5$ money order to get the court disposition -- waiting for that to come back. For the second one, I again called up the court clerk (this one was in a bigger city court). He told me that I have to go to the court in person to get it -- this is right next door, so I am going to make the journey. For the one that is still pending, I have a copy of the citation and proof of sending it in (USPS delivery confirmation). In addition to all this, I am going to take the DMV driver abstract which shows your driving record for the last 4 years -- for NY you can order it online for 10$.

As for parking tickets, I vaguely remember I had one or two that I paid sometime in the distant past, but I dont remember the time or place -- so, I didn't even bother to list them in the N-400.

Hope this helps.

Benjamin2006 said:
Recently, I obtained driving record from RMV of Massachusetts (I am living in Boston area). I got 4 traffic tickets in last 9 years. Each time, I paid the ticket fine in time. But I did not keep the records including the citations.

My question is: where and how can I get the copies of citation and proof of payment? Since I did not request any court hearing, I do not know which court I should go to get a document stating that the citation fine has been paid and the case has been dismissed.

I recall I got a parking ticket in Manhattan NewYork in the past, but cannot remember which year and do not keep all the information, but I paid the fine in time. How can I obtain a proof for that payment?

Thanks very much,

Parking tickets are not moving violations and hence you don't need to worry about them.

Regarding other tickets, you can go to your local Superior Court and ask for a Court Disposition. It should be available to you for free. It will list all your moving violations.

takadigi said:
Parking tickets are not moving violations and hence you don't need to worry about them.

Regarding other tickets, you can go to your local Superior Court and ask for a Court Disposition. It should be available to you for free. It will list all your moving violations.

I dont think the local superior court will have *all* of your moving violations. Atleast, this is not the case in westhchester county (NYC suburb). There are many small town, village and city courts here -- and each one seems to keep their own database. So, around here you need to call that particular court where you mailed your ticket (if you plead guilty) or your case was adjudicated (if you contested it).

As for parking tickets, I dont think it is a question of whether these are "moving" or "non-moving" violations. Even "non-moving" violations appear on your driver abstract (as I just found), if you are personally charged for them -- you just dont get points. With parking tickets, I dont see how a particular person can be responsible for them. For example, I may be driving a friend's car, get a parking ticket and pay it off without even telling him. So, there is plausible deniability here, as your name does not appear on the ticket. Like red light traffic cam tickets, these are impersonal and a particular person is not being charged -- so, I dont see any point in mentioning these in the N-400 form.

I am not an attorney and these are strictly my own views; please consult an attorney to get an informed opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you do in my case when the violations span to 5 different states?
Violations with VA drivers license in VA, OH. IL
Violations with WA DL in WA, CT,

?????
I cannot go to these courts and get the results.. There are so many online vultures that want your $39.99 and more so that you can access these records, but there is no guarantee that they will turn up something. It may be a report that reads 'no violations found'.