How to avoid financial NIGHTMARE? (i-589/IJ/BIA)

Hi all,

I was looking to get some advice. I am about to file my i-589 and I'm getting nervous for many reasons.

1) My case is not straightforward. It is a strong case, nonetheless, as 3 lawyers with whom I've spoken confirmed. However, they all mentioned that AO might not be aware or have all the required niche knowledge to properly decide on my case. I.e my case is not boiler plate type of a case and requires really looking into it and checking all the details.

2) I do have a lawyer who assisted me in preparing docs and who will come to my interview. He said he will do everything possible to get me approved and educate the AO during the interview; however, he belives that my case has more chances in Immigration Court.

3) The Immigration Court in my area is one of the worst in the entire coutry, with all judges having well over 90% denial rates.

4) The costs of my current lawyer in addition to the added costs of translation, certification, document acquisition, expert opinion add up to $12,000 before I even step into the interview.

5) I am getting extremely worried that if I get reffered, that I'll be on the hook for thousands and thousands of expenses, not to mention the fact that the IJ in my areas are one of the worst ones in the entire country.

6) What do I do? If I go to interview myself, I will almost certainly get reffered; if I do, and still get referred to IJ, then I won't have any money to sink into my case.

7) I just finished college in the U.S., started my own business, and the concept that I will need to sink tens of thousands of dollars into an already $12,000 case just drives me insane.

Please help.

7of9

1. It is your responsibility to present all the evidence to show the validity of your case, EVEN if it is a niche case. Where is the evidence? Even people who have boiler plate cases, if they don't provide solid evidence, they lose the case. If your case is special as you say, provide all the evidence. Where? Why? When? Will it happen again? My point is that there is no such thing as niche cases...all cases are equal. The difference is in the evidence you provide. Show the officer the evidence.
2. Officers have access to the internet. They read the case file before the interview. The purpose of the interview is to answer questions from the asylum officer, questions he/she didn't understand when reading your file. You need to present ALL your evidence, including educating the officer, before the interview. The officer might not give you a chance to educate him/her during the interview. Point: Your case file should able to stand on it's own, without the interview.
3. Why are you thinking about the court, before the affirmative portion of the process? I think you are over anylizing the isssue. If you are concerned about the court, then your only option is to move elsewhere where the approval rates are high. Besides, the court has several judges, their denial rates are always not the same.
4. There a lots of pro bono lawyers that are willing to help. Why are you using these expensive lawyers?
5. See answer on number 4 above.
6. See answer 5 above
7. See answer 6 above.

I'm glad that you are taking time to put together a coherent case.

Thanks for your response, 7of9. I do appreciate your advice in this difficult time.

Honestly, around 40% of my total cost is evidence acquisition, translation, sending the docs, expert opinion, and consulations. It all adds up. And I am not even mentioning that live around ~700 miles away from the Asylum Office and the costs of just getting there and staying are at least $300+.

The process just does not make any sense. How on Earth am I supposed to come up with all this money to cover these expenses when I just finished school? What if I didn't have my business to cover these outrageous bills? What if I am an asylum seeker with a REAL fear of persecution but can't afford to get any of the evidence or legal help? They'll send me back home to get jailed for a false politically motivated crime and get tortured?

Since posting this thread, I've had 2 additional cosults with different immigration lawyers, who both confirmed that my case is "strong" and that chances are "high."

Keeping my fingers crossed.

1) Dallas, TX

2) Google "trac asylum jugde rates"

3) 12k is not for attorney. My 12k estimate includes all the expenses. Attorney is around 7K.

I never said it's the worst, but it's one of the worst ones out there. Any convervative state is like this; Charlotte, NC; Dallas, TX, Houston TX, Atlanta GA.

I have a question for all of you.

My interview is located in Houston, TX, which is around 700 miles from my city (I live in northern TX). What should a person do if he cannot afford 700 mile travel?

7of9

My interview is located in Houston, TX, which is around 700 miles from my city (I live in northern TX). What should a person do if he cannot afford 700 mile travel?
That is very unfortunate. They usually try to set-up an interview closest to you. Hope you can find someway to get there.

I am not in Dallas, I am up North. The immigration court for my city is in Dallas, even though I am physically not there. And Houston is my AO.

I know for a fact that a 700mile ride (or 1400 mile combined ride) doesn't cost a mere $20. That's BS. Last time I checked it was around $80-100 from my city. If we are talking the bus route, then factor in the following: the place to sleep in a hotel for 1 night, transportation from bus station to hotel; from hotel to AO, from AO to hotel, from hotel to bus station; and food delivery to the hotel. That's at least $500. INSANE!!!

No wonder why there are 11 million illegal immigrants living in the U.S. The immigration system is obsolete, incompatible with real life, and just plain RETARDED !

BetterWorld

Registered Users (C)
I am not in Dallas, I am up North. The immigration court for my city is in Dallas, even though I am physically not there. And Houston is my AO.

I know for a fact that a 700mile ride (or 1400 mile combined ride) doesn't cost a mere $20. That's BS. Last time I checked it was around $80-100 from my city. If we are talking the bus route, then factor in the following: the place to sleep in a hotel for 1 night, transportation from bus station to hotel; from hotel to AO, from AO to hotel, from hotel to bus station; and food delivery to the hotel. That's at least $500. INSANE!!!
True

Yasav my friend, The reality is that you have to figure out how to get there, it is a life or death situation. Approach: Look into ALL the available and plausible means of transport to get there and accommodation. Come back here with the numbers. You can not just lament about 700 miles, you need to ascend to the solution phase. It is doable, come back with numbers and breakdown and we can have an honest strategy. Very unfortunate situation but, it is worth every penny and sacrifice my friend.

BetterWorld

Registered Users (C)
Yasav my friend, The reality is that you have to figure out how to get there, it is a life or death situation. Approach: Look into ALL the available and plausible means of transport to get there and accommodation. Come back here with the numbers. You can not just lament about 700 miles, you need to ascend to the solution phase. It is doable, come back with numbers and breakdown and we can have an honest strategy. Very unfortunate situation but, it is worth every penny and sacrifice my friend.
Thats right.
You'll realize later how easy it was as compared to struck in system for years if you miss this chance :)

Just go ahead and figure it out

7of9

I been meaning to write regarding this situation. I always look at situations and say: what would I do if it were me? How would I solve the issue of 700 miles and finding accommodation? Food? 700 miles, is about the distance from Boston to Detroit, via Canada, taking about 10 days walking, non-stop. So I would say, it probably takes three weeks to cover 700 miles. Walking is the last resort, but it is an option.

When I was fighting the system to get through the process of my asylum, I always asked myself: If I won the case, what would it mean for my life? What would it mean for my family? Asking these simple questions always made it possible for me to make every sacrifice to make sure that my case is successful. Critically, I always did everything I could, to prevent delays of the case from my side.

I'm certainly not the only one to make sacrifices to make sure my case was successful. Have you seen those guys working 3000+ miles from south America, through the darkness of the Darian gap? Have you seen those guys traveling from Nepal, through India, then Brazil, through Mexico to get to the US? Have you seen those people tracking through the Texas/Arizona deserts for a chance a this American life? Have you seen the so-called caravans as they walk across central America to reach the US?

If all else failed, if I was in your shoes, I would walk the 700 miles. I would live on the street, while waiting for the interview. They have free soup houses in big cities, so I would find food. The business of asylees, is sacrifice. Asylum process is a difficult process for most people. Hope you guys detect the tone of my writing here, and what it means.

Look at this:

Last edited:
I been meaning to write regarding this situation. I always look at situations and say: what would I do if it were me? How would I solve the issue of 700 miles and finding accommodation? Food? 700 miles, is about the distance from Boston to Detroit, via Canada, taking about 10 days walking, non-stop. So I would say, it probably takes three weeks to cover 700 miles. Walking is the last resort, but it is an option.

When I was fighting the system to get through the process of my asylum, I always asked myself: If I won the case, what would it mean for my life? What would it mean for my family? Asking these simple questions always made it possible for me to make every sacrifice to make sure that my case is successful. Critically, I always did everything I could, to prevent delays of the case from my side.

I'm certainly not the only one to make sacrifices to make sure my case was successful. Have you seen those guys working 3000+ miles from south America, through the darkness of the Darian gap? Have you seen those guys traveling from Nepal, through India, then Brazil, through Mexico to get to the US? Have you seen those people tracking through the Texas/Arizona deserts for a chance a this American life? Have you seen the so-called caravans as they walk across central America to reach the US?

If all else failed, if I was in your shoes, I would walk the 700 miles. I would live on the street, while waiting for the interview. They have free soup houses in big cities, so I would find food. The business of asylees, is sacrifice. Asylum process is a difficult process for most people. Hope you guys detect the tone of my writing here, and what it means.

Look at this:
Great video, thank you for sharing.