How safe is it to change the job after GC

devadoss

Registered Users (C)
I know this has been discussed earlier. However I couldn't find the exact thread.
My 485 has just been approved and I would like to change the job within couple of months ahead.
I haven't got my PP stamped yet.
How safe is it to change the job after GC? Friend of mine told me to wait and switch employer after 6months. Is that true? If so why?
If at all any issue arises when would anyone face?
Need your advice.

Lot of people say it's safe to switch after working 6 months for the prospective employer. But there are no such rules exits. If you switch as soon as you get green card, Interviewer might raise a question at the time of citizenship (depends on the interviewer). If you don't care about citizenship you don't need to worry at all. So for I never seen anybody having probelm switching employers after getting green card.

I am planning to switch immediately after I get my physical card (by that time I am finishing about 2 months, my case approved on oct 21st).

If you don't have any problem with current employer try to stay least 6 months. If you get better opportunity don't hesitate to switch.

This is my personnel opinion only. If possible check with your lawyer before switching employers.

People talk about 6 months.
Also heard about the 30-60-90 days rules.

I guess there is really no standard operating procedure for this, especially with AC-21 and other issue.

People have to take their own risk on this.

Thanks for your insights. I have followup question for you.
If I leave my current employer DO I need to inform CIS by any means?
I know AC-21 comes into picture before 485 approval. How about after approval?
If start my own company at this point, Do I need to inform CIS too?

At the time of citizenship, how would the CIS know that I have switched job before/after six months of 485 approval?

My personal opinion,
(a). You donot have to inform CIS about change of employer,
(b). AC21 is exclusively meant for the period prior to I-485 approval,
(c). You are informing the releavant agency by starting your own company, I bet CIS doesn't care about this,
(d). The W2's will let everybody know about your employer during any time period, so CIS will know about your job changes(If they cares to know).

How would USCIS care what job are you doing after you get GC?
I know someone who applied GC through NIW (Biology), he switched job from Biology to totally different Computer area even before his GC approved. It is time for him to apply citizenship now.