How permanent resident ( based on family reunion) can divorce US citizen

Ola4pets

Hello Guys,

I need your help. So again my mother-in-law became US permanent resident in March 2018, she’ve met a guy in September 2018 and they’ve got married 1 month ago. That guy is US citizen (74 years old). He promised to take care of my mother-in-law and pay for her health insurance etc- we have that in writing .However, He suddenly decided that we ( my husband and I) as sponsors are responsible for our mother and that we will be responsible for all their needs ( food/any expenses) including buying house !!!!

So my mother-in-law lived with that man only 1 month, she wants to divorce him. He threatens us to get suid for her not living with him and not gooing to resort that he paid 800$ for next week.

How can we start the process of divorce ( FL, Pensacola), they married in Vegas 1 m ago. Do we need an attorney or can she apply on her own for divorce? The guy ( her husband) is retaired and he was head of household 2018.

Also should she file taxes with us or with her husband for 2018?
Your help is deeply appreciated

So did your MIL get married for the purpose of having someone else take over the financial responsibilities you signed when you guys sponsored/petitioned her GC?

That did come up in a previous thread https://forums.immigration.com/thre...union-married-us-citizen.338783/#post-2484280 .... I'm guessing the "in writing" bit above was to try circumvent the sponsor obligation, though I doubt it would have held weight should the I864 had been used in court. Normally I'd say you can't sue a departing spouse for not living with or going on vacation with you, but normally you wouldn't be signing undertakings to pay health insurance etc when getting married. This sounds more like some kind of contract, implicit or explicit, that has been broken than a love marriage. And that's fine for consenting adults if that's what they decide to do, but it does make me lean towards suggesting an attorney might be better for cleaning it up now that it's not working out the way the parties intended it to work.

( Actually the original sponsorship sounds like it was some kind of "contract" too (MIL was expected to provide childcare in return for being sponsored https://forums.immigration.com/threads/affidavit-of-support.338492/#post-2484781 ) )

So did your MIL get married for the purpose of having someone else take over the financial responsibilities you signed when you guys sponsored/petitioned her GC?
No , not really! She wanted a spouse and person to live with/travel/ not to be lonely.

There was no contact! My mother in law wanted to go to her home country because she had troubles here to get health insurance and working without knowing well English language and not able to drive. Her husband asked her not to leave and promised that he will spoil her/ love her etc and will take care of her! They liked each other, it wasn’t a contract or agreement. However once they’ve got married, he started making squeals and demanding financial responsibility regarding all her needs including health insurance. He made her not talking to her family etc, she decided not to continue such marriage as he was pushing on her likevshe was his toy and she can’t have her opinion in any matter.