• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How much money is needed to be shown

yrrej007

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I am applying for the DV lottery. Incase i win the lottery, how much money should i show for a family of three members in regards to financial requirements? Please explain the funds breakup. Me, wife and son. And also when should it be shown?

This is in regards to proof of funds. It would be great if people those who have already been through the situation, give an idea about it.

Hi. I am applying for the DV lottery. Incase i win the lottery, how much money should i show for a family of three members in regards to financial requirements? Please explain the funds breakup. Me, wife and son. And also when should it be shown?
It's quite easy. All you need to do is refer to this chart: https://aspe.hhs.gov/2019-poverty-guidelines

There you will find your answer :)

That answer Damo is not quite correct. The poverty guideline is the guide to judge whether a sponsor meets the income level needed to support the "combined" family size - and that is when the sponsor is providing an I-134. I describe that here:
http://britsimonsays.com/all-about-public-charge-affidavit-of-support-i-134/

However, for an applicant to show their savings - we generally say around 10k per adult, a little less per child, BUT it is not a precise number, nor is that always enough. We have seen embassies inexplicably expect to see a HUGE number whenthe applicant is showing savings, because that measure, unlike an I-134, is not "defined" in some standard way.

Best idea is use an I-134, second best is show savings (liquid assets, such as a bank account, NOT assets such as cars and property)

So does that mean you cant show your property as asset? Only cash savings? People who have shown and been through this situation, please give their feedback on this.

Also is there an amount regarding the proof of funds,that the US government has set for each person applying for the visa? Like adults such an amount and for kids such an amount?

Simon has answered your question. My suggestion is to wait and see if you are selected before going any further.

Well Mijoro, the answer that simon has given has a contradiction. In the link he has sent, it states that you can show your assets/property as funds. Below is the statement info.

So how do you prove that you will not become a public charge. The simplest way is to demonstrate that you have enough money/assets to support yourself. This can be in various ways, for example:-

1. Bank/other financial statements
  2. Real Estate/Property
  3. Stocks/Bonds
  4. Income from business investments.
Now please check the above comments he has given, that you cant show property as assets.

Best idea is use an I-134, second best is show savings (liquid assets, such as a bank account, NOT assets such as cars and property)
So both places has two seperate info, and that is the reason why i asked for genuine info of those who have already been through this situation. Well if i get through or not, i have to keep things than running at the last moment. Hope makes it clear.

All that reading and you still missed the point entirely. Zero point continuing this if you feel like you know more than everyone.

All that reading and you still missed the point entirely. Zero point continuing this if you feel like you know more than everyone.
Well its up to me and not upto you to decide if there is point of me continuing or not. Well if you cant answer, then dont respond at all with an attitude. If not you there are others too, you will give a feedback. This is a forum to clear doubts. So when soomeone is asking doubts, this kind of attitude from you is not appreciated. What i have posted is what simon has posted at two different places. So if you dont want to answer, leave it than giving this kinda attitude.

Well its up to me and not upto you to decide if there is point of me continuing or not. Well if you cant answer, then dont respond at all with an attitude. If not you there are others too, you will give a feedback. This is a forum to clear doubts. So when soomeone is asking doubts, this kind of attitude from you is not appreciated. What i have posted is what simon has posted at two different places. So if you dont want to answer, leave it than giving this kinda attitude.

No one here can give you a clear answer because there is no clear answer, there is no one size fits all answer. It depends on each individual’s circumstances. Read the last faq on the DV instructions. If you want to get snippy about trying to be exact about what assets might be acceptable, you can read the instructions for using assets on the i864 to guide you (and yes I am well aware i864 is not used for DV). Property as an asset is fine if you live somewhere that property can be accurately valued and can and will be easily sold. Not all DV winners live in places like that.

By the way, your answer is the one full of attitude. No one has the right to tell anyone not to respond. You want to ask questions on the internet, deal with the fact that anyone can and will answer. And yes, we prefer to spend our time helping people who have won than spending ages on people who haven’t even entered yet.

Last edited:
Well Mijoro, the answer that simon has given has a contradiction. In the link he has sent, it states that you can show your assets/property as funds. Below is the statement info.

So how do you prove that you will not become a public charge. The simplest way is to demonstrate that you have enough money/assets to support yourself. This can be in various ways, for example:-

2. Real Estate/Property
  3. Stocks/Bonds
Now please check the above comments he has given, that you cant show property as assets.

So both places has two seperate info, and that is the reason why i asked for genuine info of those who have already been through this situation. Well if i get through or not, i have to keep things than running at the last moment. Hope makes it clear.

I do not see any contradiction Simon’s response, maybe this is a case of you not understanding the information you’ve been provided with.

The section about using assets to demonstrate one will not become a public charge relates to the sponsor filing out an I-134. It basically means the sponsor may list assets (if their annual income is not enough on its own) to show they meet the applicable poverty guideline level to be a sponsor. As a matter of fact, the sponsor cannot include any property which is their primary place of residence as one of the assets to demonstrate they meet the poverty guideline level. Liquidating the property in order to meet their financial obligations creates additional hardship which may lead to them and the person being sponsored to resort use of certain public benefits making them a public charge.

The selectee on the other had should not be planning on using their assets to convince the CO they will not become a public charge charge because those assets are not US based assets and cannot be easily liquified should the need arise to ensure such a person will not resort to public benefits they’re not entitled to receive once they’re in the US. Also in certain countries, the represented value of such assets may be doubtful and the CO doesn’t have the time to verify the information being provided with.

Now having said that, I have read of a couple of selectees (from certain advanced countries) who presented proof of significant personal savings in addition to a list of assets on a spreadsheet to the CO during their interview. Not sure the presented list played any role in their approval though.

In general we recommend a selectee gets an I-134 if they don’t have a significant and reliable savings of their own to present. Definitely not their assets!

Th
I do not see any contradiction Simon’s response, maybe this is a case of you not understanding the information you’ve been provided with.

The section about using assets to demonstrate one will not become a public charge relates to the sponsor filing out an I-134. It basically means the sponsor may list assets (if their annual income is not enough on its own) to show they meet the applicable poverty guideline level to be a sponsor. As a matter of fact, the sponsor cannot include any property which is their primary place of residence as one of the assets to demonstrate they meet the poverty guideline level. Liquidating the property in order to meet their financial obligations creates additional hardship which may lead to them and the person being sponsored to resort use of certain public benefits making them a public charge.

The selectee on the other had should not be planning on using their assets to convince the CO they will not become a public charge charge because those assets are not US based assets and cannot be easily liquified should the need arise to ensure such a person will not resort to public benefits they’re not entitled to receive once they’re in the US. Also in certain countries, the represented value of such assets may be doubtful and the CO doesn’t have the time to verify the information being provided with.

Now having said that, I have read of a couple of selectees (from certain advanced countries) who presented proof of significant personal savings in addition to a list of assets on a spreadsheet to the CO during their interview. Not sure the presented list played any role in their approval though.

In general we recommend a selectee gets an I-134 if they don’t have a significant and reliable savings of their own to present. Definitely not their assets!
Thanx a lot and i appreciate the answer. So what do you think be a sufficient amount im regards to proof of funds, to be shown to a CO for a family of three? Two adults and a child?

Another one attitud
No one here can give you a clear answer because there is no clear answer, there is no one size fits all answer. It depends on each individual’s circumstances. Read the last faq on the DV instructions. If you want to get snippy about trying to be exact about what assets might be acceptable, you can read the instructions for using assets on the i864 to guide you (and yes I am well aware i864 is not used for DV). Property as an asset is fine if you live somewhere that property can be accurately valued and can and will be easily sold. Not all DV winners live in places like that.

By the way, your answer is the one full of attitude. No one has the right to tell anyone not to respond. You want to ask questions on the internet, deal with the fact that anyone can and will answer. And yes, we prefer to spend our time helping people who have won than spending ages on people who haven’t even entered yet.
Another form of attitude. The reason a person comes here and asks question is to get an idea and clear the doubts. For that, it doesnt matter if he has won or not. A person who is willing to enter has the same mind set just like a person who has entered. All are the same.

Another one attitud

Another form of attitude. The reason a person comes here and asks question is to get an idea and clear the doubts. For that, it doesnt matter if he has won or not. A person who is willing to enter has the same mind set just like a person who has entered. All are the same.

You missed the point again. There is no “right” answer, especially just based on family size. And no, wasting extensive time on questions from people who are 99% likely not to win is not the same at all as helping people who are actually selected and processing. Good luck with your entry. If you get selected and stop being so snippy, feel free to ask away.

Another one attitud

Mijoro above has a point. Wait and see if you're selected before going too far on this issue. You tried for DV several years ago and it didn't work out. Hopefully it'll work out this time, good luck.

No one here has an attitude, but you showed a glimpse of yours back in a 2013 post. Keep things civil here.

Th

Thanx a lot and i appreciate the answer. So what do you think be a sufficient amount im regards to proof of funds, to be shown to a CO for a family of three? Two adults and a child?

Simon already addressed the amount that may be considered sufficient in his post which you responded to as being contradictory. I recommend going over that response again.

Another one attitud

The typical response to a non-selectee who is looking for detailed response to a hypothetical situation is “get selected first“ like others have already told you on this thread, and I’m equally of the same opinion. Spending so much time addressing processing questions from non-selectees is a waste of everybody’s time, especially the few who are willing to answer questions. Spending time after time to help actual selectees is draining enough without having to address hypothetical situations. “A person who is willing to enter (MAY HAVE) the same mind set just like a person who has entered. All (MAY BE) the same”, but they clearly are not the same as someone who has been selected and has a serious issue they need guidance on. We prefer to spend extensive time helping out those people.

2. Real Estate/Property
  3. Stocks/Bonds

There is no contradiction if you read properly. But as others have told you, this level of thought and questioning is a waste of our time since you haven't even been selected. So - enter, get selected, then come back and ask questions if needed.

Also please be respectful of others here. No one is asking you to police other people's comments. Leave that to moderators. Thanks.