How many times can one renew a TN visa

dell11

I currently reside in Alberta and am a Canadian Citizen. I work for the petro chemical industry as a senior Electrical Engineer, all of my education was done in the USA and I have close to 15 years of experience.

At present, I am thinking about moving to the US, I have received a few interview calls from good companies. I am born in India so getting a green card would be a slog for me. I was wondering if i were to go on a TN visa, for how long can I renew it. I know at least the first 4-5 years is easy but beyond that if I am unable to get an H1B, for how long can I keep renewing my TN status? Can I stay on a TN visa status for 10 years + ?

If possible, I would like to move and stay there permanently. The US job market is very strong at present and i think this is the best time to move.

Please advise.

You can renew or get new TN -- in slices up to three years -- indefinitely.

Thank you Nelsona. I used to be on a H1B visa from 2006 to 2012, I was an Indian citizen then. I migrated to Canada in 2012 and naturalized two years ago, not sure if it affects anything. I have read another thread about TN to green card over here in this forum which is really my ultimate goal.

Based on that thread, I will get started on my GC as soon as my employer is willing to do it. Not sure, if you know the answer to this question - but did the new USMCA agreement affect or cause any changes to the process.
and what do we tell the border agent if he asks us " if have filed or green card or not" ? It is a violation of the temporary intent of the TN status.

I assume you are EB3 and are born in India? The current wait to file is 9 years. Unless you married a Cdn-born person, your wait will be very long.
Becoming Cdn citizen doesn't change your birthplace for EB purposes.

I have about 15 years of experience and a Master of Science degree from a reputed US university. The case would be at least EB-2. I am also trying for a supervisory role, that may even put me in EB-1 but no guarantees on that one.

EB2 is still 8 years away, and EB1 is a tough long process that most employers won't go thru. All this to say that your comment that you are "8 - 12 months away from starting the process" only means you are 8 -12 months away from beginning your YEARS of waiting.
You will be renewing any TN you get.
Feel free to follow-up on India GC sites for the bad news. I'm sure you are familiar with them from your past h1 days. Nothing much has changed.

I am asking for planning purpose, how easy is it to get TN renewed after a long time of staying in the USA, I am talking about 10+ years of stay? Has anyone lived in the USA on a TN for a very long time by just renewing it every 3 years for ever.
what difficulties do you face a the border? Isn't the purpose of the visa temporary? would a long term stay of 10 years not violate its intent?

Each petition is for a temporary stay, that is sufficient. In fact, the longer one stays on TN, given its tenuous, second-rate nature, the more evident it is that the petitioner has no intention to immigrate to US.

No need to overthink this.

I have another general question, say I move to to the US on a TN permit and work for an employer for 15 months and then i get another job and when i go to apply for a TN, would i get another 3 year permit or would i get a 21 month (36-15) permit? and then get a full 3 year when the time is up on the I-94.

This is assuming all job offers are permanent full time staff.

Can you expand on what you mean by tenuous, second rate nature ?

I am currently living in the US on an L1-A and am considering potentially changing employer and getting on to the TN. am also in the H1-b lottery.

Each petition is for a temporary stay, that is sufficient. In fact, the longer one stays on TN, given its tenuous, second-rate nature, the more evident it is that the petitioner has no intention to immigrate to US.

No need to overthink this.

on TN, spouse doesn't get working privileges, your ability to stay in US ends immediately on loss of job. Little investment from firm in the sponsorship process.

No, H4 and L2 can get EAD to work, TD cannot, And H1 has a measure of portabilityAnd since there is a cost to these processes, companies may be more reluctant to give you the boot.

TN is easy to get, easy to lose. And no family benefit. You were asking why being on TN for long period is not a sigh of immig intent, This is why.

No, H4 and L2 can get EAD to work, TD cannot, And H1 has a measure of portabilityAnd since there is a cost to these processes, companies may be more reluctant to give you the boot.

TN is easy to get, easy to lose. And no family benefit. You were asking why being on TN for long period is not a sigh of immig intent, This is why.

when did h4 get automatic EAD? based on my knowledge EAD was only given when the h1b spouse was in advanced stage of green card

How do you interpret "can lead to" as "automatic"? We're done here. With your knowledge, you don't need any help.