How long US Citizen kid can stay out of country?

srikoka

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
US born kid(citizen) for GC parents, is there any specific time lines how long he can stay out of US?. If he stays say 6 month to 1 year in India, are there any specific procedures to follow( like reporting in Indian police station every 6 months etc).

Thanks,

Can stay up to 6 months without permission...

They can stay up to 6 months without permission. Beyond that, you need to get some paperwork done. My daughter has been in India for about 10 months now. I know that my parents had to get some paperwork done for her because her stay was more than 6 months. I don't remember exactly what needed to be done.

I heard that If that citizen kid grow up in a foreign country and
join the military of that country, he may be
considered as indending to abandon his US citizenship

Paper work

If I remember right, last time when I got my Visa for my kids, they said, US citizens of Indian Parents can stay in India for 6 months, If stay have to exceed 6 months, they have to report to local police commissioner for reaston to stay.

This should be just a formality (offcourse there is allways some under-the-bench cash involvement - if you know what I mean :D )

My daughter is an US Citizen. She has been living in India for the past 4 years. She has a 10 year multiple entry Indian Visa which does not allow you to stay for more than 6 months at a time. We had to go to the Police Commissioner's office and get her stay extended until the expiry of her Visa, after which we will need to apply for another Visa or get her the PIO card and then get the extension again.

Thanks for the replies. So if the Kid has got PIO cards, they don't need to report every 6 months?