How long to go through Visa Screen?

bassam

Registered Users (C)
My wife is preparing for N-CLEX. Does anybody know how long it takes to go through Visa Screen via CGFNS now a days? Need some input so that we can decide when to do what. Her spoken English is a problem, TSE is much dreadful. Given concurrently filing I-140 and I-485 before VISA Screen as a choice, we want to know how much time this strategy is going to win for her and the risks. Your expertise is eagerly needed, any information is welcome, thank you very much!

I read your previous posts Harleyd, is TSE so hard to pass? It seems that you have a much better command of English than my wife. If you had prepared a whole year yet still failed, how much longer should she spend? Are you currently in the USA?

harleyd said:
As I have already said, always prepare TSE as soon as possible to avoid denial.

bassam said:
I read your previous posts Harleyd, is TSE so hard to pass? It seems that you have a much better command of English than my wife. If you had prepared a whole year yet still failed, how much longer should she spend? Are you currently in the USA?

Yes, for most foreign nurses, TSE is the biggest problem: we can take care of everyday work issues easily, but no, not TSE. And, don't let score of 45 pts fool you, sometimes it takes a lifetime to fill the gap between 45 and 50 (most of my co-workers stuck on 45 and never got...). I think the official policy for ETS is to make sure that 99% examinees fail TSE with 5 pts less. :mad:
For alternatives, I suggest your wife take IELTS, it's more examinee-friendly and easier to pass, at least it worked for me.
Once again, prepare the tests early even before I-485 and VS submission, don't forget your wife needs half year to get used to work environment after she gets EAD while current processing time is about 1 to 2 years.
Good luck to your wife.

Thanks! Actually we were flirting with this idea too. So now the decision is made. I will take IELTS first and tell my wife how it is, the best I can help. Since we are in the states EAD would be a bit faster to get, or at least interim EAD, which also makes passing VS more urgent. I appreciate your help, Harleyd, all the best with your current and future endeavours.

harleyd said:
Yes, for most foreign nurses, TSE is the biggest problem: we can take care of everyday work issues easily, but no, not TSE. And, don't let score of 45 pts fool you, sometimes it takes a lifetime to fill the gap between 45 and 50 (most of my co-workers stuck on 45 and never got...). I think the official policy for ETS is to make sure that 99% examinees fail TSE with 5 pts less. :mad:
For alternatives, I suggest your wife take IELTS, it's more examinee-friendly and easier to pass, at least it worked for me.
Once again, prepare the tests early even before I-485 and VS submission, don't forget your wife needs half year to get used to work environment after she gets EAD while current processing time is about 1 to 2 years.
Good luck to your wife.

bassam said:
Thanks! Actually we were flirting with this idea too. So now the decision is made. I will take IELTS first and tell my wife how it is, the best I can help. Since we are in the states EAD would be a bit faster to get, or at least interim EAD, which also makes passing VS more urgent. I appreciate your help, Harleyd, all the best with your current and future endeavours.
Right, take spoken english test seriously. VS is nothing if without english tests. My suggestion is "keep trying,never give up", I heard one of my coworkers even took 20 times of TSE and IELTS in 2 years and eventually passed for no reason, so if your wife fails few times of tests, she is not alone.
Glad I could help, God bless.

bassam said:
My wife is preparing for N-CLEX. Does anybody know how long it takes to go through Visa Screen via CGFNS now a days? Need some input so that we can decide when to do what. Her spoken English is a problem, TSE is much dreadful. Given concurrently filing I-140 and I-485 before VISA Screen as a choice, we want to know how much time this strategy is going to win for her and the risks. Your expertise is eagerly needed, any information is welcome, thank you very much!

Once CGFNS have received all documents (transcripts, passing test scores on TSE and NCLEX) it takes approximately 6 weeks for the Visascreen certificate to be issued. Your wife could apply now for Visascreen, she does not have to wait until she has the exams, but CGFNS will only issue Visascreen after her passing results are in.