How long to get GC through TN Visa

no_trying

Registered Users (C)
If you go GC through TN Visa, that means you can't leave US until GC is processed. IF you did leave US while applying for GC via TN, then you have to reapply again. Can someone tell me if this is true?

TN->GC, how long does it take? 5 yrs-10yrs?

Not until the I-485 is filed, and then you simply use Advance Parole.

Depends on your category and country of birth.

Ok I found the answer in the above link provided by nelsona. It takes about 4-6yrs. Not able to leave US for 4-6yrs is like a prison sentence. Future is so unpredictable that you may have to leave not because of you, but because of people you love.

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously did not understand the process, or did not read well. You only need to stay in US during the 3 months it takes to process EAD and AP immediately after you submit I-485. All other times you are free to travel.

You obviously did not understand the process, or did not read well. You only need to stay in US during the 3 months it takes to process EAD and AP immediately after you submit I-485. All other times you are free to travel.

Ok I see what you are saying. But to go from TN -> EAD, how long does it take on average?

Answer me this: What do you think it means to go from TN to EAD? I'm not sure you have a good grasp of the process, since I've already answered how long it takes to get EAD after filing I-485.

Read more, ask less.

Ok I see what you are saying. But to go from TN -> EAD, how long does it take on average?

Depends.

For instance I filed for my AOS in Aug and got my EAD and AP a few weeks later in early Sept. I was no free to travel anywhere I wished. So stuck in the US for a few weeks didn't kill me...

Depends.

For instance I filed for my AOS in Aug and got my EAD and AP a few weeks later in early Sept. I was no free to travel anywhere I wished. So stuck in the US for a few weeks didn't kill me...

Hey Warlord, what country were you born and what state did you apply from? State that you are applying from makes any difference?

Issuance of EAD is not based on birth country, and the processing time for EADs is pretty consitent between service centers.

But you are several steps away from submitting I-485 (perhaps years) so I would not worry about EAD processing times right now. That is kind of like wondering if it will snow for Christmas -- in 2018.

Focus on getting your employer to make your PERM an EB2 category petition (if you are qualified). Otherwise be prepared to stay in TN for a dozen years.

Hey Warlord, what country were you born and what state did you apply from? State that you are applying from makes any difference?

Well this was about 5 or 6 years ago though so I don't know if times have changed or not. Heard some people are saying a few months now after applying to get theirs. Also heard of others that had waited close to a year...