How long to approve I485

zshakyaz

Registered Users (C)
Hello friends

I am filing my I 485 in couple of days here. I was wondering how USCIS handles the approval process and how long it takes .
The uscis processing time and my approval time for 140 was different. The site is still showing the processing time for 140 is for July 2007. My 140 was filed in TSC on feb 08 and approved on July 08 .

I was just curious how the processing time is determined. Other question is I have seen numerous cases where priority date is current and it hasn't taken really long to approve the 485 cases. What does the real processing times mean, seems like it is not applicable to all the cases filed , ( like mine) . Eg 485 processing time July 2007 but I have seen many 485 approved that was filed on 2008 .

What does the processing time reflect, does it generally reflect the average time. Is their discrepancies on the processing times

Thanks Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friends

I am filing my I 485 in couple of days here. I was wondering how USCIS handles the approval process and how long it takes .
The uscis processing time and my approval time for 140 was different. The site is still showing the processing time for 140 is for July 2007. My 140 was filed in TSC on feb 08 and approved on July 08 .

I was just curious how the processing time is determined. Other question is I have seen numerous cases where priority date is current and it hasn't taken really long to approve the 485 cases. What does the real processing times mean, seems like it is not applicable to all the cases filed , ( like mine) . Eg 485 processing time July 2007 but I have seen many 485 approved that was filed on 2008 .

What does the processing time reflect, does it generally reflect the average time. Is their discrepancies on the processing times

Thanks Just curious.

Those processing dates posted are just guide lines where about 80% or so will be approved by this date if visa number is available. The other 20% will be delayed for about 6 months and small fraction ~1% (still is thousands of applications) will stuck for many years till a decision is made. The factors controlling that are variable: security check and clearance, number of applications, request for evidences created, category of application and so on and as I mentioned current priority date is important. If priority dates are not current, do not bother looking and tracking those dates and track visa number availability on the dept of state web page.

Those processing dates posted are just guide lines where about 80% or so will be approved by this date if visa number is available. The other 20% will be delayed for about 6 months and small fraction ~1% (still is thousands of applications) will stuck for many years till a decision is made. The factors controlling that are variable: security check and clearance, number of applications, request for evidences created, category of application and so on and as I mentioned current priority date is important. If priority dates are not current, do not bother looking and tracking those dates and track visa number availability on the dept of state web page.

today i called one of my friend he is EB2 filed in March 2005, he said he got green cards for him and his wife, i am confused how it is possible

i am sure he is not joking :confused: