How Long between Marriage and Filing AOS?

ananga73

Registered Users (C)
I am trying to sample people on here on how long it took between getting married and filing AOS. Can you kindly provide this info and how long it took you to get your GC.

Appreciated.

Thanks!

Most people say it but I believe it is untrue that you must wait for a long, post-marriage period before filing. I filed 3weeks after marriage.

Goodluck!

I am trying to sample people on here on how long it took between getting married and filing AOS. Can you kindly provide this info and how long it took you to get your GC.

What is the basis of the AOS, what was the type of visa or method of entering the US, and what was the length of time since last entry? Those factors play a role in whether it's problematic to file for AOS too soon or get married too soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not about when you file for AOS after marriage. Its more about what you history tell about you - like Jackolantern indicated...

Other factors:
1. Have you filed for AOS before? When and what was the outcome?
2. Do you have legal status right now? Marrying and then filing for AOS shortly after you
fall out of status raises eyebrows... It does not mean that people don't do it.
3. Legal problems - such as being placed on removal proceedings -
4. Evidence of Bona fide marriage. If you don't have enough history, you do not want to file right away. You might jeopardize your case before its under review...

You see where i'm going?

well my husband and i got married in march and filed in may..but i wasn't out of status when we filed, i'm still not. we've known each other for almost 3 years now, we were engaged for 1 year and 3 months, etc etc... But it is like Manalive says...they take into account a LOT of things...But a lawyer that we consulted right after we got engaged and before my husband and I got married told us once i entered the US we shouldn't file right away, she told us we had to wait 2 months since my entry to the US before we filed, bc I entered on a B1/B2 visa...I was very naive back then... I think it would've been better if he had petitioned for me with a fiance visa...its just less nerve racking...even though it is more expensive

well my husband and i got married in march and filed in may..but i wasn't out of status when we filed, i'm still not. we've known each other for almost 3 years now, we were engaged for 1 year and 3 months, etc etc... But it is like Manalive says...they take into account a LOT of things...But a lawyer that we consulted right after we got engaged and before my husband and I got married told us once i entered the US we shouldn't file right away, she told us we had to wait 2 months since my entry to the US before we filed, bc I entered on a B1/B2 visa...I was very naive back then... I think it would've been better if he had petitioned for me with a fiance visa...its just less nerve racking...even though it is more expensive
I got married on Dec. and filed in January, and received my I-130 approval saying that Im not eligible for Adjustment of status, anyway our legal assistant is doing the paperwork, but as I entered in B1/B2 like you, my I-94 has just expired on June 15th, did they tell you what happens if you are in US and your I-94 expires?

"I got married on Dec. and filed in January, and received my I-130 approval saying that Im not eligible for Adjustment of status, anyway our legal assistant is doing the paperwork, but as I entered in B1/B2 like you, my I-94 has just expired on June 15th, did they tell you what happens if you are in US and your I-94 expires?"

Well if your AOS is pending there should be no problem. But if they did not approve your AOS and your I-94 expired then you are currently out of status.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got married on Dec. and filed in January, and received my I-130 approval saying that Im not eligible for Adjustment of status, anyway our legal assistant is doing the paperwork, but as I entered in B1/B2 like you, my I-94 has just expired on June 15th, did they tell you what happens if you are in US and your I-94 expires?

Did you marry a US citizen?

That is the critical difference between Triple Citizen and Beatriz. Triple Citizen entered on a K-1 which is already explicitly predisposed towards marriage. No dual intent confusion in his case

Yeah, I understand now, I can't believe that never knew of k-1, and this legal assistant never mentioned that, :( we had plenty of time to file for K-1, sure it is a huge difference.
Thank you.