How far ahead can you apply for TN-1 Status from your start date?

TNewbie

Hello,

I have received a job offer with a start date of July 22. I have received an email from HR saying that I need to fill out Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) by July 11. This form requires me to enter Form I-94 Admission Number, which I will only receive after I get my TN-1 Status. And it also requires me to enter my SSN, which I can only receive when I have my Form I-94 and have applied at an SSN office in the US.

To make things more complicated, I have read reports where the CBP agents have turned away applicants who have applied more than a week from their start date. So, I emailed HR stating my current scenario and, hopefully, I may get some leeway with my extenuating circumstance.

But that being said, when is the earliest I can fly to the US without being turned away? I haven't even notified my current manager about this as I do not know my end date at my current organization. I haven't even booked my flight yet. Help please.

Push back, you don't need to complete I-9 verification until your first day on the job. At least that is my understanding, and what I did when I started my job on TN in US. You can start your job without a SSN, but you should go the SSA office as soon as possible after you start your job and you will obtain your SSN card in the mail in about two or three weeks. (on your first day when you enroll in your company health care plan they will also ask for your SSN, but you just have to explain you don't have one yet).
I don't think there is a hard number of days prior to your start date to obtain TN, but a week is typical. (I did it five days before at Queenston/Lewiston POE in the Ontario/NY border), then flew into LAX four days later, one day prior to my start date).
Also you don't need to give two weeks notice to your current employer. It is a nice courtesy, but not absolutely required. You can explain you did not give two weeks notice due to obtaining immigration documentation for your new job.
For me, I gave my two weeks notice, 1.5 weeks before I obtained my TN status. Was it risky, maybe, I don't know.
Changing jobs is a very stressful time, and obtaining a new job in another country with all the 'hassles' is even more stressful.
But lots of people have done it, do your research on this and other forums. Good luck and fingers crossed.

Great response from Amber!

I'd just like to add that if you get your TN (say) 8-10 days prior to your first day at a land POE, you could go to the closest social security office right there and then and apply for SSN even before you start your job to speed things up.

Be careful. Applying for SSN too soon (before SSA has gotten your TN infor from DHS) will actually slow down the process (that was the old wat Mister). Wait a couple of weeks before submitting.

Hey guys,
I am new to this forum and looking for some general tips for finding work in the US(specifically Bay area). I am based out of Toronto but my husband works out of US and hence I am considering moving there. Can someone please be kind enough to provide me with some general tips to finding work:

1. How do you approach recruiters? Any recommendations for recruitment firms from you guys? I am looking for work as a Business Analyst and now I have actively started networking on LinkedIn.
  2. How long did the whole process take approximately(from interviewing to moving)
  3. Do companies expect you to fly in for a FTF interview? If they do, do they take care of expenses?
Can I connect with any of you on LinkedIn if its not too much to ask. You can PM me.

Thanks and really appreciate your time and help.

Besides discouraging hijacking someone else's thread here, may I suggest sticking to one thread? You already have your own standalone thread, please wait for members to respond to that thread. Thx

@1AurCitizen, I don't get this, isn't this forum to get help rather than point out things like this. Unfortunately, I didn't get any response on my thread and hence decided to post here. I had no intentions to hijack or intervene, I am only looking for help. Sorry if it seemed that way. If you feel you cannot respond to my query here, why don't you respond to my thread that I posted in. That would be really helpful. I see some people have experience with TN here and so I am asking for genuine help and not meaning to "BARGE" in. @Amberleaf @nelsona . I was hoping a response from you guys.
But if its too much to ask for, I can totally find help elsewhere.

Thanks again and appreciate reading

Hey guys,
I am new to this forum and looking for some general tips for finding work in the US(specifically Bay area). I am based out of Toronto but my husband works out of US and hence I am considering moving there. Can someone please be kind enough to provide me with some general tips to finding work:

1. How do you approach recruiters? Any recommendations for recruitment firms from you guys? I am looking for work as a Business Analyst and now I have actively started networking on LinkedIn.
  2. How long did the whole process take approximately(from interviewing to moving)
  3. Do companies expect you to fly in for a FTF interview? If they do, do they take care of expenses?
Can I connect with any of you on LinkedIn if its not too much to ask. You can PM me.

Thanks and really appreciate your time and help.

(1) I'm not sure if being a Business Analyst would fit in with any of the job categories under NAFTA. Perhaps Management Consultant category would be the closest?
(2) The interview process in my case was a bit tedious -- 5 different interviews for the same job position, which all together probably took up 4 weeks. On accepting the job offer, I decided to start 3 weeks after as I needed to give my 2 weeks notice and get started with the paperwork. All in all, from first interview to when I arrived in the US, it took about 7 weeks.
(3) All of my interviews were through phone and webex.