how does the custom officer know how long you've been away?

SERGEI LERNER

Registered Users (C)
I'm a non naturalized GC holder with a European passport. I get stamped while entering the US but not on departing. How can the custom officer know while entering whether I’ve been away for 10 days or a whole year?

I'm a non naturalized GC holder with a European passport. I get stamped while entering the US but not on departing. How can the custom officer know while entering whether I’ve been away for 10 days or a whole year?

You have to tell the truth when asked. Burden is on you to prove that you were in US on XYZ date and went on ABC date.
When you enter other country you get entry stamp on your passport and when you exit that country you may get exit stamp on passport.
When you take flight for US they know in advance that who is coming to US.
Airlines share data
The USCIS or CBP can find out anything about you if they want

no stamp in euro pass

thanks for the info. When I go back to Europe with europass the euro custums do not stamp it. Only the US upon entry. So the Q remains: how does the CO know wheter you've been away foe a weekend or a year?

thanks for the info. When I go back to Europe with europass the euro custums do not stamp it. Only the US upon entry.

So the Q remains: how does the CO know wheter you've been away foe a weekend or a year?
-------------- when you enter US next time ask the CBP officer and you can get the answer.
--------------

thanks for the info. When I go back to Europe with europass the euro custums do not stamp it. Only the US upon entry. So the Q remains: how does the CO know wheter you've been away foe a weekend or a year?

The airlines share departure data which I believe is cross-referenced against the USCIS immigration database. Also, as others have said, usually the main question asked when returning is "how long have you been away", and it's a VERY poor idea to lie to a POE officer.

BTW, serveral times when traveling FROM the USA to overseas, the airline has asked for my passport AND asked me if I am permanent resident of the US. In one case, I was asked to present my passport and GC, both of which were swiped. (The airlines were United and Singapore). I thought it was unusual at the time(s), but also figured it was part of a stepped up program to know how long people were actually staying away. The airport was SFO.

Thanks for the detailed info. Next Q: what happens if you cross the border from/to Canada by car?

Car plate and your face are stored with time/ date of crossing. When enter Canada from US you face Canada immigration and if from Canada you enter US you face US immigration.
Why are you interested in knowing these details?

just curious to find the loopholes. I know the situation in Europe where due to different taxsystems people claim to live elsewhere (Greece has lower taxes than Germany). As the official borders disappeared it is very difficult to find out where someone lives. But: there still is a control on many airports even on flights between Schengen countries. So in that case it would be wiser to go by car. Everything clear? SL

when you purchase an international travel ticket the airline asks you to submit your passport number. the departure date is logged on a database. when you return to the u.s. and the officer punches in your passport number, guess what? he sees when you left and how long you've been away.