How do I get a case # from INS

Jameel

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I had applied for my I-485 in Dec 98 at my local INS Service Center. At that time I was not aware of the fact that the applications had to be sent directly to SC. I got a receit from the local INS center saying that my case would be decided within 120 days. In 1999 and 2000, I got letters from this INS office saying that I need to do get my fingerprinting done. I got the fingerprinting done twice. In June 2000, I wrote to this office about the status of my case and they told me that they had transferred my case to Nebraska as that SC has jurisdiction over my case. I was not given a new case #. I wrote to SC and they responded giving me the same story about 10,000 visa limitation. If I try to call the Nebraska center automated service and put in my original case #, I get the response that my case has been transferred to Nebraska and that I should call the Nebraska phone # for status. Well... that is the same # as the one that I am calling. Thanks for your time and I really appreciate the generous help from the people listed in this forum.

Jameel

No Title

It is imperative for you to actually talk to an Immigration officer at Nebraska SC. Phone number 402-323-7830, line is always busy. You have to be patient, and keep re dialing until you get your call through. I takes up to 40 minutes re dialing until you get answer and after that, up to 25 minutes to actually talk to an IIO. Today, I talked to an IIO and miraculous, I only had to re dial for five minutes and after that waited only for 15 minutes to finally talk to an IIO. Your application had to be filed at NSC, this is why your local INS office transferred to NSC, and if they did so, you should have a LIN number (LIN-xx-yyy-5zzzz)that identifies your application. Check message 12.1.1.1 in discussion "Political asylum & citizenship". Since apparently you do not have that LIN number, with your alien number they will verify status of your case. Good luck

No Title

As Alanpero has already suggested you can get it by writing to them (may take weeks or even months to reply) or call them.

I used a wireless headset phone + constant redial software to save my time.