How difficult is the process compared to other categories

Canadian2GC

Registered Users (C)
Those who did EB5, congrats!

I wonder if you can tell me how overwhelming the process is compared to employment based categories such as EB3?

If I have to go through just as many hoops and hurdles as employment based categories, then I might just continue to bug my employer to sponsor me a EB3. But if the workload and process is much simpler than EB3, then I would seriously consider the EB5 category.

From some EB5 investment websites, they make it sound very streamlined and straight forward, pretty much like if you can come up with $500K or $1M, if you can prove source of funds, and if you can provide tax returns for the past 5 years, then that's more all less all you need to apply. (Of course, medical exam, background check etc are required regardless of which category we choose. )

I know these EB5 investment websites are making money off us, so they probably downplay how overwhelming the process is, that's why I want to ask the people in the forum if they can shed some light on the topic.

Some additional questions I have are:

1) roughly how many years it takes before you get your GC through EB5

2) What are some of the additional fees I should be aware of besides the $500K or $1M requirement? And roughly how much ?

3) What are some of the drawbacks for EB5 besides having to coming up with a lot of money?

4) What happens if (for whatever reason) your application gets rejected? What options do you have if that happens

Sorry, a lot of questions.....

There are quite a few USCIS approved Regional Centers that accept investments and process EB5 visas. I believe it takes about a year from investment to get your GC. Over and above the 1M or 500K, additional deposit, fees, attorney costs etc vary between 35K and 65K. The process is reasonably straight forward. Usually the funds are kept in trust (in an Escrow Account) with a bank till the EB5 petition is approved. Hence if the petition is rejected, you can get the funds back. Of course the expenses incurred (particularly the attorney fees) are lost.
The drawbacks are
1. the GC is given for only two years but can then be made permanent by showing that the business is subsisting. And if the business closes or winds up in less than five years, the GC is cancelled.
2. documentation and scrutiny are fairly stringent.
3. most important, you are risking hard earned money: and right now globally there is a recession and so risk is higher. So kindly check and double check before moving forward.

Hi Friends ,

I came to US in 2006 on F1 visa I did my masters , After that i applied H1 and its approved my present status is H1 , I have one of my uncle who is a citizen and owns a gas station by any means can he sponsor the GC for me , he is ready to giv eme any power required....please reply friends

Hi Friends ,

I came to US in 2006 on F1 visa I did my masters , After that i applied H1 and its approved my present status is H1 , I have one of my uncle who is a citizen and owns a gas station by any means can he sponsor the GC for me , he is ready to giv eme any power required....please reply friends

How hard an EB-5 is depends on whether you are using a regional center, which regional center you are using, and how difficult it is to track the money from you to the regional center and prove that it was legally earned.

Jim

investing into US now???? thats crazy talk -that alone would be suspicious to USCIS -you chance to start a successful business in the US is equal to 0(zero) ;take your money to Europe or Australia instead