How did Trump limit visas exactly?

mittens

Hi all.
I heard that president Trump tried to limit immigration, and visa issuance. I heard of one particular "Buy American, Hire American". Was there anything else, I don't know.
I also saw that one highly skilled chinese couldn't get a working visa (probably H-1), because of Trump.
And there was probably one order that permitted giving working visas only to Bachelors (i'm not a bachelor).
I don't know what is true, what Trump did, thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify.
What can't be done or harder to get done since Trump is a POTUS?

I'm no Trump fan but the H1B system has long been subject to abuse, and they are vetting applications more thoroughly (L visas too). It's always been the case that you need a bachelors for an H1, they are now giving a higher % to those with postgraduate degrees. However note that H1B has an annual quota and has for years been limited to that, so there are always applicants who lose out as they go to a lottery system for allocation, and the number of visas is not getting actually getting reduced now. Who knows what reason your highly skilled Chinese friend didn't get his visa for? He may have been unlucky under the lottery, or the company sponsoring him may have been shady and/or didn't prepare the papers properly, or couldn't prove that they needed him. (H1 has always been intended for jobs where hiring local has been difficult so even though "hire American" is slogan now, it's officially been policy all along.) I can guarantee you no visa officer said "I am not giving this highly skilled person a visa he otherwise should get because mr trump doesn't want me to let more people in".

The other thing they did is change the effects of students getting D/S and abusing it without accruing illegal overstay - though this is currently under challenge in court.

The biggest actual effect on visas since Trump came in is for the travel ban countries.

Trump can talk all he want, but immigration can't be reduced (or increased) without Congressional approval. He can influence some policy with Executive Orders though.

The H1B program has long been subject to abuse, and with a significant number of those going to Indian nationals, the fraudulent environment emanates in India. Surprisingly, that fraud has also seeped into the TN program, and guess where a good number of Canadian TN applicants were born. Hint: it's not Canada! While some of POTUS' policies are misguided, he seems to want to cut down on visa abuse, including illegal overstays. It will be some time before the full impact of his policies, including, BAHA, is known.

Thanks for answers Susie and 1AurCitizen.

So Trump apparently did less than I thought. Well, I'm not in those banned countries.

If you don't mind then, I ask, are there other worker visas that doesn't require that high degree like bachelor's? There are lots of them and it's easy to get confused.

Okay, interesting thanks.
I doubt most H2B workers have the required background for employment-based immigration.
These must be the workers that certainly don't fall into category " Third Preference EB-3: “Professionals” ", and EB-1/2, but looks like Third Preference EB-3: 3-Unskilled Workers (Other Workers) and 1-“Skilled workers” is a bit less demanding, "Skilled workers are persons whose job requires a minimum of 2 years training or work experience, not of a temporary or seasonal nature". But nothing is written about education, except training of course but "or".