how a canadian pr can bring in their spouse?

cnatar02

Registered Users (C)
folks, i would appreciate your suggestions, facts and any help with my questions below:

my friend, who got his landing papers now and has to land before sep 30, 2003. now he is planning to get married. now his questions are:

1. should he get married after he completes the landing process in sep 2003?

2. is there any problem if he gets married before he lands? if so, what are the implications? (he has applied for PR as single / primary applicant)

3. if he completes his landing process in sep 2003, then get married say in oct / nov 2003, then how long does he have to wait to get his wife into canada?

4. what is the process to go about in getting PR for his wife in the spouse category?

6. is there a temporary spouse visa or something that she can get to accompany my friend to canada? if so, how difficult it is to get that and what is the process involved in it?

5. is there any other way that she can join my friend immediately after getting married, like getting h4 for h1 visa holder?

sorry for asking too many questions folks, but my friend is in a confused state right now and i just want to ease his pressure. thanks in advance to everyone who gives info. that they know.

My case is very similar, please let me know what decision have you gotten to !!

I gave landing in October 2002, and came back to my home land. and got married in Feb. 2003 here. Now I want to go back to Canada with my wife. Rather then going alone to Canada and sponsoring from there.

Note that also my wife is expecting a baby in December 2003.

What is the best way that I get her sponsorship done while being here myself ??

Thanks in advance,
OzzyFan

see vault's reply to my smiilar posting in the "Permanent Residence in Canada" forum under "Canada - Visiting, Living in, Moving to or Moving From". hope that information helps you.

Originally posted by Ozzy BigFan
My case is very similar, please let me know what decision have you gotten to !!

I gave landing in October 2002, and came back to my home land. and got married in Feb. 2003 here. Now I want to go back to Canada with my wife. Rather then going alone to Canada and sponsoring from there.

Note that also my wife is expecting a baby in December 2003.

What is the best way that I get her sponsorship done while being here myself ??

Thanks in advance,
OzzyFan

What is your spouses citizenship? Does she qualify to enter Canada without a visa? If so she can enter Canada, and have the baby in Canada, that way you don't have to worry about sponsoring your child. If she does not qualify to enter Canada, without a visa, then you can the only option would be to try to get her a visit visa (not sure if the Consulate will grant her one) but there is no harm in trying.

no, she does not qualify. She needs a visa. I may try applying.

OR better, is there any possibility that the papers of the baby also get processed with hers ???
If unable to get the visa, what is the other way for that ?

I see a column in sponsorship form which they ask if the spouse is pregnant or not....

thank you.

no, she does not qualify. She needs a visa. I may try applying.

OR better, is there any possibility that the papers of the baby also get processed with hers ???
If unable to get the visa, what is the other way for that ?

I see a column in sponsorship form which they ask if the spouse is pregnant or not....

thank you.

The only option is for you to sponsor her. To do this you will have to be in Canada, and one of the requirements is that you will have to enclose the tax assessment, even though there are no income requirements for spouses and children.

If she luckily gets the visit visa. What budget should I allocate roughly for the delivery in Toronto ?

Thank you much

If she luckily gets the visit visa. What budget should I allocate roughly for the delivery in Toronto ?

Thank you much

All I know is that without Medical Insurance in Canada, the medical expenses can be high. In the US if it is a normal delivery, depending on the hospital, it could cost anywhere from 5k to 7k roughly. Based on the above amout, you can figure out as to how much it would cost in Canada.

Also keep in mind, that if your spouse is ganted a visit visa, and you guys end up in Canada, youwill not be able to sponsor her, since you are required to enclose the Tax assessment notice along with your sponsorsip application, even though one dosen't have to be earing the required amount (approx 29k).

Vault, your help much appreciated. Thanks.

Can't I go there (with wife on visit), file for the tax return and apply for her immigration while she is with me there?

Are there any limitations (of time etc.) for filing the TAX return ?

----------

Tax Assessment

Vault:
Does this mean that they woudl reject a spouce application if the tax assessment is not there. I recently applied for sponsorship ( Nov 03) for my spouse and have not heard back anything yet from the authorities. How much do you think it usually takes for the whole thing to go thru? Thanks in advance for your reply

Nave

I applied for my wife in july 2002.
She did her medicals in late Feb 2003.
Still she has not got her visa.

By the way she was not called for interview. She is in US.

Just to give idea.

Mayank

Ozzy BigFan and Nave:

Sorry! was on Extended Vacation, and decided not to use the computer :)

To answer your questions:

1. To sponsor anyone (immigrant) you need to be earning according to the table below:

1 person (the sponsor) $18,841

2 persons $23,551; 3 persons $29,290; 4 persons $35,455

5 persons $39,633; 6 persons $43,811; 7 persons $47,988

For each additional person $4,178

2. The above income is not required if you are sponsoring your immediate family member (Spouse, childern). However you still need to enclose the Tax Assessment sent to you by CCRA (i.e. if you have filed taxes). If you have not filed your taxes, then you might have problems to prove that you are living and working in Canada. Also when you file the Application with CPC Mississauga, you wil lhave to be in Canada.

Here is how my friend got his child who was born in the US into Canada: The whole process took exactly 6 months!!

One of my friends wife decided to have her delivery done in the USA, his mother was in the US. She delivered the Baby sometime in April 2003, and entered Canada with the baby (US Passport) in June 2003. She made sure that the Baby's passport got stamped upon entry into Canada. She finished the clilds Canadian medicals in the US, and the doctors office gave a form to be enclosed with the sponsorship application. My Friend filed/mailed the sponsorship papers for his newborn. CIC Missisauga received his application on 06/12, and started processing his application on 06/21. We carpool since we work in the same company and out of the same office. He received a call on 06/21, and was aksed where he was living currently? Why was the child born in the US insted of Canada? Also he was asked why he was working in the US? and where in the US does he work. Thats it. He answered these questions, and he received a letter on 06/23 stating that the sponsorship application was approved and the file was being forwarded to Buffalo, NY.

The Canadian Consulate sent a letter on July 10, assigning a File number, and stating that he dosen't have to submit any documents, nor pay any fees.

He received a letter in Mid October he received a letter stating that the interview was waived.

He finally received the approval letter (US MAIL) from Buffalo on December 20 asking him to send the childs passport and 3 photographs. He mailed the passport/photos and the approval notification back on the 22nd. The passport and the Landing paper was mailed on the 29th and he received it on the 30th. The family drove to peace bridge and turned around for processing the childs landing process on 12/31/2003.

Vault,

After the file was transferred to Buffalo office in this case, did ca consulate buffalo mail notices/letters to the US address or to the canadian address ? do they deal with people living in canada ?

one more thing if some one already in canada, can apply for immigration within canada and receive it in canada why didnt your friend consider that if he was in Canada with the baby already ?

thanks

After transfering to Buffalo; they normally correspond with the person in US who is being sponsored.

This is 2nd part of your sponsor application; as at this point they have already determined sponsor's (in Canada) eligibility.

In my case they asked for my Canadian Tax Returns, Utility Bills of Canadian's Sponsor, PR Card copy of Sponsor from Buffalo, NY to my wife in USA who was being sponsored.

So its mostly correspondance from Buffalo to US address.

Mayank

Originally posted by truenblue
Vault,

After the file was transferred to Buffalo office in this case, did ca consulate buffalo mail notices/letters to the US address or to the canadian address ? do they deal with people living in canada ?

one more thing if some one already in canada, can apply for immigration within canada and receive it in canada why didnt your friend consider that if he was in Canada with the baby already ?

thanks

==========================================
Mail was sent to the US Address, since he used his mother's address in the US. Yes, as far as I know, one can also use the Canadian Address.

Yes, Once can process choose for inland processing. But here are couple of things one has to keep in mind. The inland processign takes much longer than the Consular processing (this is per CIC folks). Also if one chooses to use the inland processing option, at every entry and exit, one has to make sure the passport gets stamped. Also after entering Canada on a Visit Visa, once cannot stay past 6 months. Have to spend $50 to extend the stay.
After taking into consideration the processing time and the additional $'s he has to pay to extend, he chose to use the Consular Processing, which in my opinion was a good option.

Any Responsce???

Hi:

Did you get any responsce on yyour below question or how is your friend overcoming the hurdles?? Please advisce

cnatar02 said:
folks, i would appreciate your suggestions, facts and any help with my questions below:

my friend, who got his landing papers now and has to land before sep 30, 2003. now he is planning to get married. now his questions are:

1. should he get married after he completes the landing process in sep 2003?

2. is there any problem if he gets married before he lands? if so, what are the implications? (he has applied for PR as single / primary applicant)

3. if he completes his landing process in sep 2003, then get married say in oct / nov 2003, then how long does he have to wait to get his wife into canada?

4. what is the process to go about in getting PR for his wife in the spouse category?

6. is there a temporary spouse visa or something that she can get to accompany my friend to canada? if so, how difficult it is to get that and what is the process involved in it?

5. is there any other way that she can join my friend immediately after getting married, like getting h4 for h1 visa holder?

sorry for asking too many questions folks, but my friend is in a confused state right now and i just want to ease his pressure. thanks in advance to everyone who gives info. that they know.

Sponsoring spouse to come to Canada

Hi there. I want to sponsor my spouse to come to Canada, but have a few questions.
1) I would like to open a business. Will the fact that I've just started a business, and don't have a steady guaranteed income affect our application? My spouse will be getting a monthly pension.
2) Secondly, my spouse was in a horrible accident and has had two back surgeries and now is doing well, but on pain medication, but may have future back problems. However, has VA health benefits. Will this affect the application decision, or could they approve it, without Canadian healthcare? 3) We also don't know if we should get representation, and I would like to know who has had any experience with this. What the cost is, and if it's not too much headache to do it yourself?