House passes "Dream Act" immigration bill

GCman2005

Banned
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The House of Representatives approved a controversial measure on Wednesday providing a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who came to the United States before age 16.

The "Dream Act" passed by 216-198 after sometimes heated debate. The Senate is scheduled to vote on Thursday on whether to begin debate on a slightly different version of the bill. It appears unlikely backers will win the 60 votes needed in the 100-member chamber to advance the measure.

The legislation would provide legal residency to undocumented young people who graduate from high school, complete two years of college or military service and have no criminal record.

The measure is backed by President Barack Obama and Hispanic activists, who have been disappointed by Democrats' failure to deliver on Obama's promise of comprehensive immigration reform.

In a statement, Obama said, "This vote is not only the right thing to do for a group of talented young people who seek to serve a country they know as their own by continuing their education or serving in the military, but it is the right thing for the United States of America.

The bill is opposed by Republicans who slammed it as a "nightmare act."

"It is nothing more than mass amnesty that will undoubtedly encourage millions more to illegally immigrate into our country," Republican Representative Dana Rohrabacher told the House.

In his presidential campaign in 2008, Obama pledged to push for an immigration overhaul, boosting border security and offering steps to legal status for many of the nearly 11 million illegal immigrants living in the United States. His administration and Congress have so far failed to agree on comprehensive measures.

(Writing by Tim Gaynor; Editing by Greg McCune and Peter Cooney)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_congress_immigration

It did not pass in the Senate (not surprisingly). The DREAM Act will surely not pass in the next two to six years. A system which requires 60% of the votes for majority is not exactly democratic in my opinion... So is the system in which Montana has the same weight as California with respect to voting... But hey, it was a great compromise between federalists and anti-federalists in the misty era of the American Revolution. Never mind that this system more often than not screws up a lot of proposed legislation, sometimes very much needed legislations.

big mistake ..just one of many US is making every day ...question is ..for how long it can go like this ??

A system which requires 60% of the votes for majority is not exactly democratic in my opinion...

You don't require 60% majority to pass - you just need 60% to overcome a fillibuster. The Democrats had two years to move DREAM forward, and 60 votes, by the way, for most of those two years. They did not.

So is the system in which Montana has the same weight as California with respect to voting... But hey, it was a great compromise between federalists and anti-federalists in the misty era of the American Revolution. Never mind that this system more often than not screws up a lot of proposed legislation, sometimes very much needed legislations.

I consider the needs of large states outmuscling smaller states equally flawed. The US system was designed to make it hard to pass legislation, and to be honest, DREAM was flawed and should not have been passed.

dream act is dead. and i hope they add another amendment to the constitution where the children of illegals are also considered illegals. every person tries to take advantage of the loophole. well guess what, illegals weren't sent by god. they're children of satan. go back to your country damn illegals

Children of Satan? You're out of your mind. Children should not suffer for what their parents do. People also enter illegally for numerous reasons, and not every illegal immigrant is a burden. Things are not black and white, and you must understand that. Yes, a free-flow of immigration is difficult for any country to absorb, but the world as it currently is needs a great deal of reform to stop illegal, and even legal immigration.

It's obvious that you don't know anything about American history nor Politics.

Can you trace back your blood line 500 years and say that you are American?
Not, unless you descend from native Americans, which I doubt it, because a native American would never call them-selfs "American"

It's obvious that you don't know anything about American history nor Politics.

Can you trace back your blood line 500 years and say that you are American?
Not, unless you descend from native Americans, which I doubt it, because a native American would never call them-selfs "American"

Forget the past,todays laws in America make illegal immigration a crime.. and illegals are criminals. Deport them all.

Do you want all jaywalkers punished? Many "illegal" immigrants are forced to go to places where they can have some semblance of a life where they can make ends meet. Calling them criminals, legally, is, I guess, correct. But you and I both know that most are NOT. They are victims of our system. You will probably disagree with me while you wear your American flag t-shirt, but you and I both know that people are forced to break the law to survive.

Let's also not forget that most governments, including ours, are made up of criminals, if the law always prevails.

Do you want all jaywalkers punished? Many "illegal" immigrants are forced to go to places where they can have some semblance of a life where they can make ends meet. Calling them criminals, legally, is, I guess, correct. But you and I both know that most are NOT. They are victims of our system. You will probably disagree with me while you wear your American flag t-shirt, but you and I both know that people are forced to break the law to survive.

Let's also not forget that most governments, including ours, are made up of criminals, if the law always prevails.

Too bad... America is not responsible for all the poor people in the world unlike what the bleeding heart liberals think.

But America, its foreign policy, its corporations and its commitment to trade liberalization IS. America is not alone, but over the past few decades, it has been responsible for the continued oppression of billions. It's the only reason the US is this rich and powerful. Mexico and other Latin American countries have borne the brunt of America's policies in its sphere of influence, and the standard of living enjoyed by most in the West is built on the backs of the billions of poor who are essentially slaves to capitalism.

You're thinking this sounds like a rant by a crazy leftist. Fine. But, I am not. It's just social justice. "Bleeding heart liberals" or not, this is history and current affairs. Am I against securing our borders? No, not exactly. But, an umbrella statement like all illegals are criminals and should be deported does not work and should/cannot be applied, and people like you who spurt such statements are ignorant and need to do some reading beyond their comfort zone. Learn something new, GNH, and don't be like the "non-compassionate conservatives."