Holding H1b, I485 paeding, do I need sponsership if change job????

hongvs

Hello all,

My husband and I both holding H1B, he's applying green card from his company for both of us, and now our 1-485 is pending(filed 04/2004), hopefully we can get GC in 1 year. Now I want to change my job, do I need a new sponsership from new company or I can just go to new company without file the transfering H1B(it's my 5th year of H1B) application since I have I485 pending???

Thank you very much!!!!

You need an EAD. If you don't already have one, get one (if you've filed for I-485, you're eligible to file for an EAD.) When we applied for one in April as part of our I-485 package, it came in about a month -- but that doesn't mean yours will, of course.

If you want a new job before that comes through, you're still perfectly eligible to go through the hassle of the H-1, but of course by doing that you're limiting the scope of potential employers to those who are willing to go through that hassle with you. With an EAD you're on an equal footing with Americans in terms of the job market.

Thank you!

Thank you very much for the advise. :)

I thought to apply the EAD, but our lawyer who's doing our case said if I got EAD, I'll lost H1B status, then if our I485 failed, I lost all status!!! :eek: Is this true? Or this is minor chance ??? We got I-140 approvalled already.