HeyBCIS: The most valuable natural resource in the 21st century is brains.

Seth_Chamaklal

Registered Users (C)
Make GC process happen, you need us !!!!!!!
According to Forbes Magazine (forbes 400):
The most valuable natural resource in the 21st century is brains. Smart people tend to be mobile. Watch where they go! Because where they go, robust economic activity will follow.
If you agree, then put your chips on cities that: a) attract smart people; and b) are low-cost enough to incubate a business so it won't need much outside capital, which is dilutive to wealth building. In other words, look for cities with these attributes:
• Universities. Especially those with strong science and engineering departments. Modern innovation springs from a deep understanding of physics, electronics, math, chemistry and biology--not Proust. Business schools and law schools are nice, too, but are of ancillary importance. There is an interesting twist to this. In the old days a state's flagship university, with its law and liberal arts schools and alumni networks, carried a higher prestige than the ag or tech school. A degree from the University of Iowa hoisted you further up the Des Moines business and social ladders than a degree from Iowa State University. But this pecking order could reverse itself in the 21st century. The Iowa States of the world are more adept at creating scientists, engineers, patents and R&D grants--the seed corn of wealth.
Most of their students come from abroad, like India and China.

Chamaklal,

Since you have so gleefully quoted this excerpt, I am assuming you wholly identify with its provincial point of view. I don't think it's fair to give Indian and Chinese immigrants in the tech industry (and the "sciences") such pride of place and relegate the rest of the areas in the humanities and social sciences as dispensible. You seem to suggest that the real "brains" are the techies, eh? Says who (apart from neo cons in forums like forbes, WSJ etc) that reading "Proust" does not contribute to useful knowledge or change? Some of the best known immigrants--those who could have come to the US as aspiring immigrants--have gone on to make a name for themselves (and their countries of origin) as authors, artists, lawyers, intellectuals. Why should the green card process be especially faster and smoother for technology workers, huh? Seen from the darker side of the moon, aren't they only good as cheap labor?

The article smacks of prejudice of a particular kind.

Detroit immi

Please excuse me, incase if it hurts your feelings. I also believe, intellectuals are in every field and from every nation. I also believe America is a great nation and capitalistic and democartic destination for intellectuals like you and me. I dont think some bureaucrat sitting behind the desk, and sleeping at office time in nebraska decide or dictate this great american (Nation of nations) immigration policies too. I wanted to be little sarcastic and to be honest, most of the statement was from this week's Forbes(400 special) magazine.
( By the way there are only 2 Indians in this year list :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit self-serving?

"The most valuable natural resource in the 21st century is brains. Smart people tend to be mobile. Watch where they go! Because where they go, robust economic activity will follow.
If you agree, then put your chips on cities that: a) attract smart people; and b) are low-cost enough to incubate a business so it won't need much outside capital, which is dilutive to wealth building. In other words, look for cities with these attributes: "

It seems that the destination for a vast majority of the "brains" is invariably the US. Based on this, the INS, watching where the "smart people" go will perhaps conclude that they (US/INS) remains the best option available to these "brains', abuse or otherwise. So why change anything?

It seems as if you are seeking reform of the employment-based immigration system but the argument presented appears to bolster the status quo:rolleyes:

Let us be honest.. The vast majority of the so-called aliens with advanced degrees and exceptional abilities are nothing but mediocre third world citizens trying to make a few bucks more than the conditions in their home countries would allow (and I will be the first to admit I am one of them). There is no reason to feel pompous about it.

Well put Sankrit!
Few of us want to admit the brute material reality behind our desire to immigrate.
Besides, the Forbes argument for employement based "immigration reform" is self-serving and pompous, you're right. Sure as hell "they" need "us" brainy technocrats--just ask why, and then there won't be any reason to be so self-congratulatory about it.
there's more to the idea of immigration than aiding and abetting corporations to hoard money.

to sankrit's post, i add that a lot among us (myself foremost) are not only average, but indeed escapists. educated people willingly (salute to them) or unwillingly stuck in non-US nations might, and probably surely will, outpace us immigrants in almost every aspect of excellence.

the question, then, is one of becoming a cog in the wheel in this country of "rape and honey", and NOT proving to be the cream of 'this' society or 'that'. and the difference between "us" and "them" is one of being 'here' as opposed to being 'there'.

INS/BCIS/USCIS and all their manifestations sure understand this; so, i hope, do most educated immigrants. the real pomp and glory is not when such an average foreigner ("alien!") once again climbs up the ladder, but when the rest, many far smarter and brainier, walk under it seemingly oblivious and unnoticed by the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think BCIS knows the pros of allowing the cream of the world to immigrate to the US so do all the politicians (Bush, in a election year, has gone on record saying that he will not abolish the H1B visa program)

They need us as much as we need them. Its a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship. The driving force is pure economics . Get the best brains and maintain your pre-eminent role in the world.

The GC process is slow , but they havent abolished it. 9/11 had to have a negative effect and we are baring the blunt it. Lets understand their point of view and bear with them.

Remember the GC is not a right , but a previledge.

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?" The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
The graduate with an Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"