Help with employment

testboy

Registered Users (C)
Hi I am ready to file my N400 application in a few weeks but i have a concern. My last job was July 2008 when i quit. Since then i haven work, i was basically living on my savings, traveling, my wife and baby live in home country. But i always come back to US and spend some time.
I am really concern about this sending my application. Do u guys think this is a big issue. would it invite more scrutiny in my application. what should i do and how do u think i can handle this. Thanks.

Fir the section where I had to the time i spent out of the US ( part 7 page ) in the column to list country i just write a brief reason for the visit eg

Trinidad, visit family
Trinidad, meet my wife
Trinidad, Visit girl friend ( now my wife)
Trinidad, got marry legally
Trinidad, wedding ceremony (my wedding)

etc do u this is ok or i should just write the country visited. Just thought might help in verifying all my trips. instead they have to ask why i travel so many times

aways thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Lack of employment is not a problem. Just bring bank statements in case the interviewer asks about how you supported yourself since 2008, so you can show you were living on savings (and dispel their suspicion about whether you were working for cash without paying taxes or making money from criminal activity).

Your problem might be with your overseas travel with respect to the continuous residence requirement. What % of the time have you been spending outside the US since July 2008? Were any of the trips 6 months or longer? Have you kept your house or apartment in the US since July 2008?

Just list the dates and countries, don't list the reason for the trips.

Hi Jack,

I am in the same boat like testboy.

I´ve been unemployed for more than 2 years. My husband and me don´t have bank statements. We only have the taxes we made jointly and w2´s of my husband. If the immigration officer ask me for proof of support myself for the 2 years could I show the taxes for the 5 years??. I am new in the N400 and I don´t know if there is other options.

Any help really appreciate it.
Thanks

If the immigration officer ask me for proof of support myself for the 2 years could I show the taxes for the 5 years??

Yes. The last two years should be sufficient, if the interviewer's concern is how you've supported yourself for those 2 years. But you can bring 5 years just in case they insist on more after you show the 2 years.

Yes. The last two years should be sufficient, if the interviewer's concern is how you've supported yourself for those 2 years. But you can bring 5 years just in case they insist on more after you show the 2 years.

Thank you so much jackolantern,

I will take with me account transcripts for the 5 years just in case.
In addition my husband and me have been renting a room for 3 years. We don´t have utility bills and we want to bring with us something.
We were thinking about sworn affidavit from our landlord but I don´t know if this is a good choice and what information I should include in the document from my landlord.
Any advice please.
Thanks again

No, we are applying based in 5 years rule.
I was wondering that question just in case We were asked to show proof of residence or place we have been leaving. I don´t know exactly what is important to take to the interview. I´ve been checking the typical documents to bring with you in this website. It does not say anything about this but I will like to take with me because we did not own a home.

Thanks again jack

No, we are applying based in 5 years rule.
I was wondering that question just in case We were asked to show proof of residence or place we have been leaving. I don´t know exactly what is important to take to the interview. I´ve been checking the typical documents to bring with you in this website. It does not say anything about this but I will like to take with me because we did not own a home.

Thanks again jack

Bring the lease agreement. Or a copy of credit card report that shows your address

I was wondering that question just in case We were asked to show proof of residence or place we have been leaving.
Leaving, or living? LOL

Anyway, if you have a driver's license or state ID that was issued at least 3 months ago and has your current address, and you have not been traveling outside the US extensively in recent months, under the 5 year rule it's unlikely they will ask for more proof of residence.

But if you want to bring something and don't have a lease or utility bills, carry other bills -- cellphone bills, credit card bills.

Thanks WBH,

I don´t have a lease agreement.
I will take credit card, cell phone bills.. Thought I don´t have them for the 5 years.

Jack it is living. lol
I have DL, only 1 travel 10 days outside USA.

Thank you so much for your fast answers.