help with Adoption

y2k_2000

There are many Indians on H-1 B visa now in U.S.A.
I am one of them.
I am 29 yr old, male, Physician, not married yet. I want to adopt my sister\'s 7Yr old son
There is no section to share the ideas and ask for help regarding these
adoption issues.
Please add a discussion group.
and also, give replies with any suggestions to my query to Y2k_exp@yahoo.com
Thanks.
Bharath, MD

No Title

OK. We have created a new folder for this dicussion. My sister has adopted two children from India. If you want, I can request her to post responses here. Rajiv.

No Title

That would be a great help ... we also want to know more details about this..recently we filed our I-485 and expecting the approvel.
Once we are LPR, we are planning to adopt a child from India..Thanks in advance..

No Title

Hi,

To the best of my reasearch so far, you cannot adopt on H1 or even with a green card unless
you are willing to stay baroad with teh child for a certain period of time. I have got conflicting
responses ont hsi time period. The best I have heard is 1 or 2 years. As a citizen you can
adopt without any problems.

As a green card holder, there is no visa for such an adopted kid. And as an H1 the kid will
qualify for H4 only if the kid was your own. Again this is to the best of my research

Vaidya

No Title

You have to be a US citizen to bring the child back to the country. On H1, you cannot apply for a H4 for an adopted child because you have to have stayed with the child for 2 years. It gets worse if you have your greencard. First you have to have stayed with the child for 2 years and then after applying for the greencard, there is an additional period of wait (for that category). Life sucks for non-citizen adoptive parents.

No Title

Child Adoption. I am a green card holder. Planning to adopt a child from other country. Is any law allows me to bring adopted child to US immediately. What about 2 years stay? Please advice me about adoption law. Is any web site available? - szk

No Title

Please tell your sister to add more information about adoption. I am green card holder. Can I adopt a child from other country and bring child to US immediately. Your advice is highly appreciated - szk

cannot adopt relative

you cannot simply adopt your sister\'s son...
the law requires the adopted child be an orphan