help requestforinitilevidence affidavit of support

mkyasin

Dear all

i am currently in the us filed for aos in ocober and received a request for initial evidence. in the letter they have highlighted the form i864 with my mothers na,e who is my immigration petitioner. i am an unmarried children category of a usc. my mom does not receive income so she does not file taxes so my brother is my sponsor for the i864. he initially filed one and we sent it but i am surprised by their request. was i supposed to file two forms of i864 one for my mom and one for my brother? and what to do if she has no w2 or tax forms?

As the petitioner, she must be a sponsor and must fill out an I-864. The only reason she can legally not file taxes is if her income is below the filing threshold for that year, which can be found in a section at the beginning of that year's Form 1040 instructions. If she did not file and was not required to file, then she should put "did not file" for the question for "total income" numbers for the years that she did not file, and per the I-864 instructions she needs to attach a statement stating that she was not required to file and citing her incomes and the filing thresholds for those years.