Help: Indian Passport damaged (What to do)

puneet_gcard

Registered Users (C)
I had sent my passport to Indian Consulate for renewal. They sent it back via UPS who just left it outside my house porch. I was out of town and it rained heavily yesterday. THerefore the new UPS package got some water inside it.

The passport is not too bad and everything is readable. I did not see any soggy text at all. Hopwever I did notice that the laminate is slightly coming out of the edge (very slight) in the front. I can see the very small gap (maybe 1-2 mm) between the blue cover and the plastic laminate of the first page.

Should I try to get another duplicate passport made or will this one work fine. I am going to India (for the first time in 7 years) and I have the Plastic Green Card. However I dont want to get into any trouble or get stuck due to damaged passport.

Gurus: Please let me know what I should do.

If you feel that the damage is such that the immigration officer might question its authenticity then I would advise you to get a duplicate. YOu could send in an urgent request. In my opinion dont take chances with the officer at the POrt of Entry.

Sorry to hear about it,

In my opinion all docs related to INS, specialy passport should be kept in good, clearly readable shape with no stains that make it specious to avoid any headache and questions during travel.

Send them back and ask either repalce or make one more duplicate.
(Make copy of the damaged pp and keep to u for reference).

Good LUck

aris said:
If you feel that the damage is such that the immigration officer might question its authenticity then I would advise you to get a duplicate. YOu could send in an urgent request. In my opinion dont take chances with the officer at the POrt of Entry.

At POE dont they just look at the Plastic Card. Do they still need to check the Indian Passport. I dont really have any visa stamp as the passport is new. My dilemma is that my passport looks ok. I kept it pressed between 2 thick books and it seems like it is fine now. Unless we try to forcefully remove the laminate from the edge of the front side. Apart from that there is no soggyness what soever. I am still thinking that if I send it to the Indian Consulate they may do nothing.

Damn that UPS. I paid an extra 15 bucks to get my passport back sooner and they dont even call me. Just leave it on my porch. :mad: :mad:

Yes. They will check your Passport at the POE. How else will they verify your nationality/citizenship. Visa stamp is not needed as you have the plastic card. In any case you have to keep all your passports together (old and new). If you feel there will be no doubt at the POE regarding your passport then you to take the risk. I would suggest ask for a duplicate passport from the Indian consulate. A small action from your part would save you that possible risk.

UPS: Go ask them for damages. They are not supposed to leave the packacge in an area , where it is exposed to the elemets.