Help: Indian Passport Damaged (What to do)

puneet_gcard

Registered Users (C)
I had sent my passport to Indian Consulate for renewal. They sent it back via UPS who just left it outside my house porch. I was out of town and it rained heavily yesterday. THerefore the new UPS package got some water inside it.

The passport is not too bad and everything is readable. I did not see any soggy text at all. Hopwever I did notice that the laminate is slightly coming out of the edge (very slight) in the front. I can see the very small gap (maybe 1-2 mm) between the blue cover and the plastic laminate of the first page.

Should I try to get another duplicate passport made or will this one work fine. I am going to India (for the first time in 7 years) and I have the Plastic Green Card. However I dont want to get into any trouble or get stuck due to damaged passport.

Gurus: Please let me know what I should do.

puneet_gcard said:
I had sent my passport to Indian Consulate for renewal. They sent it back via UPS who just left it outside my house porch. I was out of town and it rained heavily yesterday. THerefore the new UPS package got some water inside it.

The passport is not too bad and everything is readable. I did not see any soggy text at all. Hopwever I did notice that the laminate is slightly coming out of the edge (very slight) in the front. I can see the very small gap (maybe 1-2 mm) between the blue cover and the plastic laminate of the first page.

Should I try to get another duplicate passport made or will this one work fine. I am going to India (for the first time in 7 years) and I have the Plastic Green Card. However I dont want to get into any trouble or get stuck due to damaged passport.

I think you will be fine with it. However, you better to call /email to Indian embassy and tell them. They are really nice at (I am not sure which Indian embassy you comes under) Washington, DC. They responded in few minutes and also called me for my email query. Here is the link.
http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/index.htm

Get another passport...

... if you have the the time before your India trip. When my passport laminate was slightly loose from use every two weeks, immigration officers in UK and US would raise an eyebrow and asked me to get a new passport, even though current one was still valid.

My $0.02...

puneet_gcard said:

Please Help !

My current Indian passport ( with active multiple entry US H1-B1 work visa stamp valid till August 2007, active UK multiple entry visa, and Schengen visa stamp) stapled to the old passport, was lost in mail by British Consulate -NY and FedEx.

I was issued this passport in April 2005 in India. I am going to apply for a duplicate Indian passport at the Indian consulate. Does anyone has any information about how much time it normally takes? Do they atleast issue a temporary passport for emergencies?

I am aware that I can not get new visa stamp in the usa and will have to goto India for the new stamp.

How long does it take to get the replacement I94 ( stapled to the lost passport)

I am working for the current company for last 4.5 years and was looking for another job so that the new company can file for my H1 and green card. I have got a new job offer from another company. Will be able to transfer or change jobs in between even though I dont have my passport. I have the photocopies of the passport, all visa stamps, I-94 photocopy original lost with passport) and original I797 document from INS for the current company.

Please help me ! Any feedback is highly appreciated (specially regarding process, time frames and job change.)

gautam
gautam_t_2008@yahoo.com

gautam_t said:
Will be able to transfer or change jobs in between even though I dont have my passport. I have the photocopies of the passport, all visa stamps, I-94 photocopy original lost with passport) and original I797 document from INS for the current company.gautam_t_2008@yahoo.com
you can do that.. you need original passport only when you cross US border .. meanwhile apply for a new passport ASAP..

To MD_ROCKVILLE

Hi MD_ROCKVILLE

Thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate it...

Gautam...