HELP!!(FP problem) anyone used tax id(ITIN) for wife\'s I-485?

Jony Lever

Registered Users (C)
Hi
 Has anyone used tax id(ITIN) for wife\'s I-485?
 For my wife , federal tax id was used as SSN(lawyer said to do so).
 But now she has got actual SSN which she used while doing FP today at SFO(was scheduled for 11/24).
 The FP guy, while verifying info, said that the two numbers(actual SSn and the tax id used as SSN for
 485 filing which was also showing in the INS system) do not match
 and my wife forgot to tell him that this is tax id and wondered why do they not match.
 The guy said her not to worry and told that INS might have made mistake in entering SSN
 (which is not right--since INS used tax id as SSN)
 In the end, the guy allowed her to do FP.
 Is this going to cause a problem for my wife\'s case?
 Will there be query for mismatched numbers?
 Will there be another FP notice? I am highly worried.
 It is not wrong to use federal tax id when one does not have SSN, the problem occurred since
 my wife simply forgot that it is her tax id that was used for 485 filing and that was showing in the system there at
 FP center.
 The guy did not mention anywhere in writing that there is mismatch in SSN
 and gave the form back used for FP. The FP in the end was successful.
 Pls share your thoughts.

FBI normally concentrates on A# - and INS matches WAC# with A# - so SSN/ITIN mismatch shouldn\'t cre

I\'m no expert - so use this information carefully - I\'m writing my understanding only.

FBI will provide FP information back to INS using A# - your A# will most probably have more than one WAC# in INS (like your EAD, AP, AOS applications will have different WAC# but you only have one WAC#) - and INS will match your FP from FBI correctly to AOS WAC#. So, SSN doesn\'t really come into picture. Moreover, I think even if your wife could tell ITIN, SSN difference to ASC guys, they could have done nothing. So you should be ok.

No Title

thanks Bhagwan for the reassurance.
 The FP guy also told her not to worry about it.
 My only concern is that they should accept her FP and should not re-send FP notice,
 which now I think will most likely not happen, since the guy later on completed her FP successfully.

No Title

On one of my H1s there was a typo and the lawyer faxed a special form to correct it. I cannot remember the form, however it was a very simple thing. Of course I\'ve never heard back from the INS on that issue.

Why don\'t you ask your lawyer to send a corrective fax and keep a copy of it in your file, just in case? I do not know if the INS will really correct the info but if it ever comes to it you should be safe with the fax copy.

Incidentally, the FP redo is the simplest thing that can happen. The next step to hell is RFE and the big prize is a transfer for interview to the local office. That\'s why I advise you to contact your lawyer asap. This seems like a small thing but you may want to play it super safe.

Take care!

No Title

I checked with lawyer and he said they will at most send FP redo.
 This could happen only if the FBI says that they have not send the results yet to INS
 which I am going to confirm.
 since it is perfectly legal to use federal tax id as SSN when one does not have SSN
 (the lawyer had asked for it while filing 485 for my wife since she did not have SSN at that point)

No Title

Hi ProActive
 also there is no typo or mistake
 the federal tax id was there used as SSN and hence the matter was only whether
 to allow to do FP or not. Since the FP guy was conviced with all the other correct
 info(A#, WAC#, Date, place of birth, address etc. (verified from FP FORM), he allowed to do FP.
 There is nothing we can tell to INS. INS already knows that tax id was used (since no SSN was available)
 The only thing was that the FP guy saw the mismatch which my wife could not explain why.
  He did not put anything in writing there or no remark on this anywhere and allowed to do FP.
 So I think we are safe.
 What do you think?