Health Insurance Without SSN?

patty579

Registered Users (C)
Hey you guys,

I'm desperately trying to get health insurance with my husband, but I can't be added to his plan yet, since I don't have an EAD and therefore no SSN yet.
The insurance company people didn't seem to know, they kept telling me I could be added and now I can't.

My traveler's insurance from back home expired last month. Is there any insurance company where you don't need a SSN to get temporary insurance?

Any comments are greatly appreciated. :)

For health insurance actually there is no need to have a SSN. I was added to my husband's health insurance even before we filed for AOS.

Of course, at the beginning when we called and my husband wanted to add me, the woman at the phone was like "no no no" so my husband didn't loose time there and we went right away to the offices in one of the branches and we went with the documents that my husband was paying the coverage for both of us and the woman who attended us right away said that there was a misunderstanding, in a week a received my health insurance card.

My recommendation is to go right there to the main office, forget the phone! :)

Good luck,

In most States, the law is clear that an insurance company cannot require a SSN. Now they can ask for it, but they cannnot require it in order to provide insurance.

Call the Insurance Commissioner in your State and find out what the law is.

Thanks Cherr.
Apparently the insurance company we were looking into won't approve me, no matter what. My husband didn't even consider getting health insurance for himself after he got out of the Airforce :mad:, so we are looking into getting insurance together.
But I just called a different company and they said they will need my visa and a physical and then they could consider approving me.
For the physical I can use the copy of my I-693. But my visa expired last month, do you think they will accept copies of my Receipt Notices for AOS?

sometime2006 said:
In most States, the law is clear that an insurance company cannot require a SSN. Now they can ask for it, but they cannnot require it in order to provide insurance.

Call the Insurance Commissioner in your State and find out what the law is.
Ah, good to know. Well that one company insisted that I have to have one, and that they really can't provide insurance for me. So apparently the law is different in CO. :(

Anyway, we'll try to get insurance with the other company now. Hopefully I won't need a valid visa. Isn't my pending AOS a legal status, too?

Needing Health insurance

I am also trying to get on my husbands health insurance plan.I have got my Ead and applied for a SS# but have not received it as yet and his health insurance provider requires a SS# am i to wait until i get it ,Ithink its unfair to be denied based upon that ,as i am legally in the US adjusting my status.

fedup2k6 said:
I am also trying to get on my husbands health insurance plan.I have got my Ead and applied for a SS# but have not received it as yet and his health insurance provider requires a SS# am i to wait until i get it ,Ithink its unfair to be denied based upon that ,as i am legally in the US adjusting my status.
Since you have already applied for a SS#, it can't take very long to get it, right? I would wait, if I were you... and take good care of yourself until you are added to your husband's plan. ;)

Hi,

I also had the same problem, my name will not be added to either the health or the car insurance but I plan to explain the reason to the interviwer if I don't get it done before our interview date.

I think for some insurance company it's part of their policy

For car insurance they normally need your driver's license number, some check out your driver's history so then can adjust the rates and things like that...everyone is so different.

Correct, actually your husband can ask the company that send him a letter about the policies of why they don't include you in the insurance. In my case one of my hubby's credit cards (btw we don't use them anymore) did not include me because the policy was that even I had a SSN I was NOT a US permanent resident (by that time) so they couldn't include me and they sent us a letter explain us about its policies...we took that to the interview, which anyway the IO never asked for anything about that.

I was on my husbands health insurance w/o a ssn when I was pregnant I got added and had n/p hopefully you can get this worked out...Good luck