Have GC, Without Job, Can I travel back and fourth

akela

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I have had GC for some 2.5 years now. I am between jobs (getting unemployment payment). If I were to travel India and be back say within a month, would I have issues. Do I need to carry any special papers (apart from my GC).
Thanks,
A

No

With GC, Job or jobless doesn't matter, What matters is to maintain status and continue residency - btw pay tax too :)

2.5 years on GC...

...and you still need to ask that question? What has travel and return got to do with unemployment situation? You could be doing nothing in the US for a long time and still be allowed entry after such a short (typical) trip.

What special papers were you thinking? All you need is your passport and GC.

naah was just worried that I hope there is no law that says that as GC holder and taking advantage of unemployement payment you are now a burden on the welfare system....(seams far fetched, as Unemployment is coming from insurance). Or that a over jealous officer at POE will just make me run around.

So thanks guys for the info. I am more looking for someone who has gone through a similar situation or who knows somebody who has.

Logically, yes there should be no problem, but the world rarely runs on logic.

Thanks again,
A

Again

Ok straight answer to your question - One of my friends lived in unemployment benefits for little more than an year before he got his new job
and he has traveled back and forth and no issues at POE, also during Naturalization.
Again sorry for you situation

Cheers and you are in better position than many people out their

Last edited by a moderator:
UI is not prohibited while a GC. The ionly issue you have to watch is to not collect UI while in India. You need to be actively looking for work -- ohysically in US.

But if you want to skip UI fpr a few weeks while you travel this has abslutely no impact on your GC.

UI is not prohibited while a GC. The ionly issue you have to watch is to not collect UI while in India. You need to be actively looking for work -- ohysically in US.

But if you want to skip UI fpr a few weeks while you travel this has abslutely no impact on your GC.

So, what you saying is one can't claim unemployment benefits while in India?
Let's say a person was out of job and applied for UB and left for India trip 2 months. Is that person is eligible to do so?

By actively surfing the web, applying jobs online and being near a magic jack US number while in India. If a job or interview comes up then willing to return within the time limit. Technically you can do it. Do not know if a specific law in your state stops you from doing it.
Thanks,
Akela

Last edited by a moderator:
By actively surfing the web, applying jobs online and being near a magic jack US number while in India. If a job or interview comes up then willing to return within the time limit. Technically you can do it. Do not know if a specific law in your state stops you from doing it.

Generally being outside the country (or even the state) will not meet the criteria. But why take my word for it? Ask your state UI agency.

Actually in my state, when I do online biweekly renewal, they do not ask where I am but that I am actively looking for job. They do ask for change of address (but vacation is no change of address). Forget about calling UI agency, I have tried 3-4 times and after hours of effort given up.
thanks for your information though.
Sinerely,
A

:) RealCanadian. I really appreciate your answer buddy. And no I was not trying to be a smart Aleck.

I really appreciate your answer buddy. And no I was not trying to be a smart Aleck.

My caution is that just because they don't ask a question doesn't mean that its answer doesn't have an impact on your case. It's unlikely that they'll detect your being out of state or country, but if they do they can ask for their money back and/or penalties.

I agree that "vacation" does not warrant a change of address. But, according to you, you aren't on vacation, you are looking for work. Collecting UI while on vacation universally is prohibited.

So, which is it?

Actually in my state, when I do online biweekly renewal, they do not ask where I am but that I am actively looking for job. They do ask for change of address (but vacation is no change of address). Forget about calling UI agency, I have tried 3-4 times and after hours of effort given up.
thanks for your information though.
Sinerely,
A

Ok, well, I logged onto this site after 3-4 years and I should now change my id to GC Mil Gaya! :)

Anyways, personally, I would strongly suggest that you should not claim anything which might be controversial. Remember, if something can go wrong, it will! Just in case later on due to some or the other way, they find out that you were out of the country and you claimed UI, you never know if that would be treated as illegal and deliberate step to cheat. I would rather forego some money than peace of mind.

Ok straight answer to your question - One of my friends lived in unemployment benefits for little more than an year before he got his new job
and he has traveled back and forth and no issues at POE, also during Naturalization.
Again sorry for you situation

Cheers and you are in better position than many people out their
Hi,
My case is also similar. I got the GREEN Card on this April (i.e. April 2009) in employment based E1(C) - Multinational Manager / Executive category and laid off (down sizing the employees) on August 2009. I am getting some unemployment benefits and actively looking for work at this time.

In the mean time, planning to travel to India for about two weeks, will be returning on October.

Will it be a problem while entering to US without job, please?
Will it be a problem while entering to United States, for NOT holding the same offer of employment that was filled with application?

Thank you.
Pack.

Question

If the primary beneficiary is unable to work for a year or so does that effect citizenship. Any ideas on this. There were posts that mentioned that we need to pay tax (With GC, Job or jobless doesn't matter, What matters is to maintain status and continue residency - btw pay tax too :)
which we do but my question if someone is not working how will they file their taxes.

thanks

Not working does not affect claim for citizenship. You are required to file if your income is above defined limits, and pay the taxes you owe, nothing more.

thanks

thanks for your help. So if they are not working then no need to pay taxes right . Also if it does not matter if someone does not work after GC then why are people concerned to leave job in 3, 6 month or a year, or change jobs just wondering .

Please any help on this concern.

Thanks