Has my UK visit visa been approved or denied?

Jenny Wren

Hi there, if anyone can shed some light on this I would very much appreciate it... I am Canadian and I recently applied for a UK Visit Visa via the Ottawa British High Commission, to visit my English boyfriend. I received an email yesterday stating that a decision has been made by an ECO on my application. The email is a generic email that fails to tell me what that decision actually is! This is very frustrating. It is the weekend and I will not hear anything until Monday at the earliest, and at the moment we're not sure what to think. Thank you to anyone who can help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update - REFUSED :'(

My visa was refused! The ECO said "based on the balance of probabilities" they were not satisfied that I am genuine, nor that I will leave as and when I am meant to.
I am Canadian with a British heritage, and my boyfriend is very English; with the application we supplied private emails, photos, a phone record showing our daily conversations that often last up to an hour and a half, we provided proof of our incomes and employment, proof of home ownership, proof of a past history of always leaving the UK on time, and even letters of support of our relationship from each of our family. I had an airline ticket, paid in full, for my future departure from the UK. Still none of that was good enough for them. We are both honest, law-abiding people who just want to be together as much as possible. The type of visa I went for gives me no right to appeal the decision.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts... We do want to get married, but when it is right for us and within the laws of British Immigration, and we even included in our own letters of support that we had no intention of settlement or marriage at this time, but that we just wanted the opportunity to nurture and develop our relationship. We thought doing it this way would be the preferred way in the eyes of the UKBA because it shows that we are not rushing, that we are establishing our relationship first, and we thought they would appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to stop you applying for a Schengen visa but you need to be aware that the UK and the Schengen countries do talk to each other, so wherever you apply in the Schengen area the authorities will be aware of your UK rejection.

Even if you get the Schengen visa it will not allow you to enter the UK.

We do want to get married, but when it is right for us and within the laws of British Immigration, and we even included in our own letters of support that we had no intention of settlement or marriage at this time, but that we just wanted the opportunity to nurture and develop our relationship.

definitely you don't need visa for short visit. even how many times you want to be back there. all you need is cash for plane ticket.