Hadron, experts please answer my question

GMC92

Registered Users (C)
I am on J1 waiver and employed by a big health care firm which has multiple sites in the region. Presently I am working in a remote place in rural MN. I'll be completing my waiver in July07. I have my labor approved with PD 01/05. I140 is pending. I'd like to move to another site which is 30 miles away and bigger place with same employer, after my j1 waiver. I would really appreciate if any can let me know if it affects my GC application in anyway?

GMC92 said:
Presently I am working in a remote place in rural MN.
Is it cold enough for ya ?

I'll be completing my waiver in July07.

Congratulations !

I'd like to move to another site which is 30 miles away and bigger place with same employer, after my j1 waiver.

And actually practice the specialty you trained in ?

I would really appreciate if any can let me know if it affects my GC application in anyway?

Here is where more expert advice would help.

Here is what I know:

- labor certifications are for a particular job site, so it wouldn't really be valid for a job 30mi away

BUT

- green card is for future employment
- there is no requirement to work in the actual job before the GC gets approved
- your employer can keep an offer for you to return to your rural practice open

After the I140 is approved USCIS doesn't really get involved to a large extent as to where you work. The only time they care, is if they send you an RFE to provide an 'employment verification letter' (a letter from the prospective employer that the conditions of the job offer on the labor cert are still fulfilled). So, if the HR chief of your corporation is willing to give you such a letter in case you get an RFE, you should be fine (however, this puts power into the hands of administrators, something dangerous).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou Hadron!

Hadron,

I truly appreciate your reply. I am going through SAD and retrogression blues all at once and it is -12C outside. I'll make sure that administrators work along with me if there is a RFE. I also wrote to my lawyer and will await his opinion.Thanks again.

:) GMC92

GMC92 said:
Hadron,

I truly appreciate your reply. I am going through SAD and retrogression blues all at once and it is -12C outside. I'll make sure that administrators work along with me if there is a RFE. I also wrote to my lawyer and will await his opinion.Thanks again.

:) GMC92

I would consider filing a NIW 140 petition also. This will give you the added comfort of another immigrant petition independent of your employer (who from your description seems nice enough, but you never know!) and which is not site specific except for the HPSA/MUA requirement. You could consider doing that on your own. Instructions are available on the NIW thread.