H4 to F1 (stamping/timing)

catch220

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am planning on transferring to F1 from H4 for my graduate studies here at US (starting Spring 2006). I am still waiting for my I-20, which upon talking to the university admissions folks can be expected in 2-3 weeks. My H4 visa has expired, but I have the I-797 for the extension. I wish to visit India before my classes start in Jan last week.

It looks like I have following options:
* Apply for the change of status when the I-20 comes in, get the new I-797, get it stamped in India (the only issue here is that I am not sure if I will be able to get visa appointment dates in India by the time I get the new I-797)
* Apply for the change of status when the I-20 comes in, get the new I-797, get it stamped in Canada (Not sure if one can get a fresh F-1 stamped from Canada)
* Go to India when I can get the first Visa appointment date and come back on a new H4. The catch here is what happens if I (or my spouse on my behalf) applies for the change of status when (a) if the change of status comes through and I enter US on a new H4 (b) the change of status has not been approved and I enter US on the new H4.
* I guess the last option is to get the new H4-b stamped in Canada ASAP and leave for India. So that I may have enough time to head back and apply for change of status.

Please advise.

Confused!
Catch220

Last edited by a moderator: