H4 or TD?

CDN_TN_US

Good Afternoon

This weekend, I am going to apply for my TN Renewal. (Calgary POE)
I have a question regarding my Son's Dependent status. He is currently on H4 (my Spouse's H1).
However, my son recently got his new passport (he is growing up too fast!!!), so its time to get the Dependent Visa stamped for him on his new passport.

His current H4 is valid until AUG 2020 on his old passport. So, I was planning to bring him along with me and get him a TD, if my TN is renewed.
Is this alright? OR should I let him be on H4 and get the H4 stamped on the new passport?

Please do let me know the best course of action.

Thank you!
#Always Grateful.

Getting a new passport does not mean he needs to get a new visa. The visa on his old passport is still valid until its expiration. Also, is he a Canadian citizen? If so, he doesn't need H4 or TD visas; he just needs to show up to the POE with a Canadian passport and the appropriate documentation to be admitted into H4 or TD status.

Thank you for your response.

Please allow me to explain further:

The H4 that he has is valid until AUG 2020.
If I get my TN Renewal, (hoping for a 3 year extension), then he gets a TD, also valid for the same period.
I am trying to avoid making another trip outside the country in AUG 2020 to just to get his Visa stamped.

Please do let me know your thoughts.

If you obtain TN for 3 years he can obtain TD for 3 years, both go to POE and apply with documentation (usually long form birth certificate)
No need to continue to obtain H4.
Either TD based on your TN or H4 based on other spouse H1B status. Does not matter.

H4 can be better if going to college. Some states, like California, allow in-state tuition for students on H4, but not on TD.
If still in High School, no difference.

If you don't want to bother taking your son at all, simply file I-539 for TD for him after you secure your TN. You don't really care when it will be approved, he remains in H4 until he gets it. Nothing ever needs to be stamped in passport in any event.